Two issues with my search.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Two issues with my search.

As a potential guest, I would like to see a very definative meaning for the words "1 bathroom."

Ads should be required to clearly state, in the heading, if a bathroom is shared. 

I would also like to see stale ads removed, suspended or declared stale, after a certain period.

It is annoying to find a suitable space, with availability, only to discover it was last updated several months ago.

I find both these issues to be time wasting frustrations, in an otherwise reasonably good system.

19 Replies 19

@Sarah977 @Roberta2 @Tim213 Yes, it clearly states private or shared if you click on the listing, but in the search results, all you get are "entire house," "private room," or "shared room" and the number of beds. It would be nice if the private/shared bath was listed in the search results, saving the guest a click if they didn't want a shared bath!

Unless it depends on the browser, but in the app and on Chrome, that's all I can see.

@Tim213   One of the pet peeves of hosts is that the platform changes things constantly without notifying hosts of the changes. You just find out accidentally one day that there have been added amenities or features to be able to designate. So unless a host is just constantly checking to see if anything has changed, or happens to read about it here on the forum, it can go unnoticed for some time. We do have lives apart from airbnb, it's not a full time job for most people- if airbnb sent us notifications when a new thing was available to add to our listings, I'm sure more hosts would have their listings as updated as possible. 

@Roberta2 Yes and no... hosts should definitely keep those listings updated - mine is, but I read @Tim213s post as not wanting to have to click a listing to see that info. As this screen capture shows, even though I have “bath - private” checked in my listing, in search results it doesn’t specify that. So I added the verbiage to my title.  Bathroom info doesn’t even appear in search results. I could be wrong, but that’s what I thought was the original issue.

84C33E64-B9A6-4432-A695-1787607856BB.png

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Willow3, yes you read me correcty. I know within a certain radius where I want to be. So, using the map start my search with neighbourhood and budget in mind. Then I pull up listings and look first at the bathroom. Many say things like x people, x bedrooms, x beds and x bathrooms. Digging deeper is then necessary to find (or not) what the actual facilities are.

In certain situations, I would not object to sharing but want to know early in the process.

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Hi @Tim213. Filtering bathrooms as mentioned by you and @Paul154, becomes very important, depending on the individual  cohort and the length of stay. The age of the individual also comes into play. When I was younger, shared spaces were the norm for the budget. As I’ve “matured” I’m more willing to spend the extra dollars on comfort & privacy. But I’ll weigh everything up with a number of factors such as city, location, architecture of building (if heritage listed area etc) and length of stay. Not all beautiful buildings have the capacity for private ensuites.

My Airbnb space is a separate entire suite which is titled as private. I think @Sarah977@Roberta2 are correct to state whether a bathroom is private or shared.

For me, as both an Airbnb host and a guest, I read everything including reviews before I choose a place. Yes it’s time consuming but I know what I’m choosing. But the point is, whatever you are accepting or paying for, should be from upfront informed knowledge.

Besides titles and descriptors, a photo image of the rental bathroom, lets guests know what they are choosing. No false expectations.  Many listings do not feature images of the bathroom/s which is a pity, because it is a vital part of the decision making process.

A good topic... thanks for raising it.