Unable to collect second payment

Janny4
Level 2
Houston, TX

Unable to collect second payment

I have a guest staying at my house for a month now, and it is meant to stay for another two more months. I received an email from Airbnb stated that they were unable to collect payment.  I sent Airbnb an email with questions  and never heard back from them.  I called them this morning and I was told that my case was assigned to a case manager (debt collector) and to refer all my questions to this person.  According to the rep, the case manager was going to give me a call.  

Has anyone had an experience similar to this with and was assigned a debt collector? Did they call you?  Was the issue resolve? How long did you wait?  Did you have to kick the guest out of your house?

I'm looking for some guidance to see what should be my next course of action?

9 Replies 9
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I think I would evict the guest now. They've already stayed for 1 month without paying. Surely they know they haven't paid. And if you're lucky Airbnb will at some point collect that first month's money and pay it to you. I wouldn't take a chance that all 3 months will be free.Get Airbnb to cancel the rest of the booking and open up your calendar so you can book new, paying guests.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

From your post I understand that they are at the end of their first month and have paid for the first month, is that correct? I suppose you would have kicked them out weeks ago if you didn't receive payment by the 2nd day of their stay for the 1st month.

To answer your question, yes I've dealt with a guest who wanted to extend their stay without appropriate amount of funds. It was an international guest. They wanted to extend, but the bank declined the transaction. From that point I was very hands on until the money was received on my end. I told the guest that night they've have to pack up and leave if the money isn't in my account by check out time the next morning. Its quite simple. Amazing how fast they clear up the issue when you give them an ultimatum. Of course, Id rather extend a long term guest but if they don't have the funds then there nothing I can do for them. The guest eventually had the payment transferred to me that same night and all was well.

I didn't get AirBnB involved because they are useless when it comes to payment issues and will drag out the process. In these situations the host is tasked with enforcing payment collection. Hoping that AirBnB will come to save the day is wishful thinking.

You are correct, I did received payment for the first month. However, Airbnb is telling me that they are unable to obtain payment for the second month and that it is now in the hands of a collector. 

I will follow your advice and give him an ultimatum this morning. Thank you! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @Zacharias0, regardless of Airbnb saying they are handling it, tell them if that if funds aren't with them by tomorrow, they need to cancel the reservation and work with you to remove the guest.

Thank you!!!!  I have sent him a message through the site and gave him a called as well.  Hopefully, he will call me back and he will make payment by today.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Janny4

Good girl, you have to be strong here and set a deadline! The more ground you give, the more you will empower the guest. Keep all your communication through the ABB site and do not accept any offers for a settlement outside of ABB. Once you start to do your own thing you will do nothing but confuse the whole situation. 

Simply state through the message stream that "As great as it has been to host ****payment is required for any time stayed, and unless payment is forthcoming with 24 hours for the second month of the reservation contract I will reluctantly have to request ABB to take immediate steps for cancellation of the contract and relocation. Sorry to force the issue, but a deal is a deal"!

Hope you can get this sorted out Janny!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4@Helen3@Zacharias0@Ali40 - Thank you for your guidance on this!  Even though it took a little longer than expected, you guys were right....Once you put an ultimatum, the money did appear.  And if it was for Airbnb, I would still be waiting....NEVER heard from the so called "Case Manager" even after advice to sent an email with all my question to them. 

According to the guest, "he paid them". I called them to confirm and they said no.  Tell him to call us, is what I was told to do.  If I'm not supposed to handle the money, why don't they go after the money themselves. smh!

Once again, I thank you guys for the advice you gave me to ensure this matter was resolved. 

Alberto813
Level 2
Senglea, Malta

Dear all,

This is actually also happening to me .

A person rented my flat and i still didnt get my payout form airbnb after a month.

when i asked airbnb i was told that they are unable to collect the money ...so i ll not get my deserved payment. 

The responsibility of collecting and ensuring the capability of guests to pay is one of the main reasons people use Airbnb. 
Airbnb exists mainly because it positions itself as a trusted mediator for the payments between guests and hosts... and now they are telling they are unable to collect the money?
How did they actually accepted the booking of someone that was not able to pay in the fist place? 
I honestly believe that airbnb should effectuate deserved payouts regardless the issues they encounter in doing their job, taking full responsibility of what it was described  as a  company inability to collect payments.. I think they should not even mention to guests and hosts these unfortunate circumstances, questioning their credibility  as a trusted mediator for our payments.
Alberto813
Level 2
Senglea, Malta

...i forget to mentioned that the flat was rented by this person for few days ..so i m not in contact with him or able to see him...and anyway i dont believe it should be my role to threaten guests for payments that airbnb is supposed to collect in the first place.