Unfair final decision of case manager!

Ahmet2
Level 1
Istanbul, Turkey

Unfair final decision of case manager!

Hi everyone.

One of my guest have made a reservation for my 2 listing in the same building, for 17 days each, the total of the reservation was over 3000$. My cancellation policy is strict and I am an host on airbnb since 5 years, with over +10 listings. 

First night, they checked in without any problem, and the next day, they started to find some reason to cancel the reservation. At the end, they decided that, there is a smell in one apartment. And they reported to airbnb.

At the end of the 3rd day, Airbnb decided that, my guest is right ( I didnt understand how they can get the smell of the apartment) Even there is overy 30 review in the flat (with 5 star) and there is no any review about the smell in the apartment)

Airbnb cancelled my reservation without any explanation, I understood the cancellation, when I get the message from the guest.

The guest stayed in my apartment 3 nights and they cancelled the rest of 14 nights.

Do you know what airbnb refunded me? Only the fee of the first night! Even the guests stayed in my apartment for 3 nights. Still I can not understand how airbnb case manager could give my flat for free for 2 nights without my permission. 

I am trying to reach the case manager but I can not. 

Do you have any advises? How I can report this situtation to Airbnb?

4 Replies 4
Taryn4
Level 10
Austin, TX

Wow, that does seem a bit unfair. 

Did you ask the resolution case manager why they seem to be going against their policy and what documentation they received? 

Did the guest ever contact you directly about the smell (before they checked out)? You said they found some reason to check out? Were those reasons related to the smell? 

If they stayed 3 nights, even if something died in the walls, you should be compensated for those nights. They had a choice to stay or go. 

Hello Ahmet 

I sense your frustration.

Thank you Taryn for her kind advice.

Ahmet I have face a similar situation and am trying to contact Airbnb case manager too. Please do let me know if you are able to proceed further. There has to be a law to protect us host who are unfairly treated. Does anybody know how? 

This is what happens.

1. He enquires and books. He was leaving a nearby host to come to me I soon learnt. That was not a good sign. His company pays for his 28 days stay.

2. He stayed 13 days in total before sneaking out of my flat at 8pm. 5 days after he checked in he invited his girlfriend to come and stay. I charge £20 per night for extra guest.

3. He asked to pay cash for her stay. I requested payment from him after he left in Airbnb. 

4. He sleep all day and works night alternate week. When he is not working he sleep until after midday.

5. I work from home as I manage my properties. I am also a senior citizen. 

6. His girlfriend left and wrote me a nice note thanking me for the hospitality. I kept that note as proof she did stay at my flat and there are additional costs he must pay. That cost is clear as I publish the additional cost in Airbnb. 

7. 13 days into the stay he left without warning. I found my flat door not lock. My flat keys were left inside my flat near the door post. 

8. Airbnb cancelled for him at 9.30pm. The email from Airbnb did not offer any explanation, but confused me instead.  For it said I have accepted his cancellation.  I did not accept nor know he was leaving. Airbnb said they have pictures of the unhealthy environment. I ask to see the pictures and invited Airbnb to come and inspect my property. I describe my building as old, over 100 years old and due for a major refurbishment anytime now.

9. Airbnb never came nor provided the picture. They did however agree I should get the extra monies I requested for her stay. 

10. Airbnb calculated I should be paid less than 10 nights. I was already paid for the total of 28 nights the day after he checked in. Remember this happen 13 days into his stay.  Airbnb informed me they will claw back the remaining nights already paid out to me 

I was shocked at the way Airbnb behaved. I have STRICT CANCELLATION in force. How could Airbnb possibly contradict its own terms?   I asked for an explanation from Airbnb. 

11. I requested money for his girlfriend's stay using the form in Airbnb.

12. When he saw it. He called me and threaten me. We were cut off. 

13. Immediately I went online and wrote to him inviting him to communicate with me in Airbnb. 

14. His girlfriend called from Germany and issued the same threat. She said she suffered eczema after the weekend visit to my flat. She threaten to show Airbnb the pictures of my flat. In fact I welcome her to do that. 

15. I wrote to back in Airbnb and invited her to reply to me. I asked her to stop calling me to intimidate me.  

16. Until then I did not know why he left except she told me he did not like the cold bedroom when he woke up during the day. Remember he work nights.

17. She claimed she saw mould in my flat where the wardrobe is. I ask her to send Airbnb the pictures so I can see them. 

18. Tonight I received a review that my kitchen smell and my flat has mould. How can Airbnb see and smell without visiting. Ahmet you are right. 

My beds and furniture come from reputable John Lewis. 

My 5 years reviews were generally good. 98% of my guest thought I am clean, house proud and helpful. I have 4 to 5 star ratings.

I did have a disagreement with one long term guest (company pays) from South Africa and I terminated his stay. So I terminated him early.  Only one guest in 5 years of hosting I have to terminate early. 

Any input from readers are welcome. 

Kind Regards

I can relate to your experiences.  Case Managers treat hosts unfairly.  I hope there will be another company to compete with Airbnb so they learn to treat hosts better..

my guest booked 70 days and he left at the 25th the case Manager cancel their booking while they still stay here, the cancel day is one day before they go! I feel frustrated how they can be! He not reply my message and just cancel it at mid night 3am! he say he received the photo shown some place not good but the photo was took after they staying here for few weeks! They even say see a mouse at a winter and hear the mouse eating! when Airbnb become this? They feel This business is really good for earn money nowadays? if they continues like this, must less a lot of hoster as the guest have found a lot of way to refund money!