Unreal guest expectations, hence bad review.

Unreal guest expectations, hence bad review.

I have been a super host 4 times in a row and has been working hard to keep the status.

I have a recent guest who stayed with us for two days.  She informed me that she will be arriving late like 10pm.

On that evening, I messaged to checked on her arrival and if everything was alright.  She then message me that she was utterly disappointed as I did not prepare fresh milk and cereal knowingly that she was arriving late.  I explained to her that we do not provide fresh milk but we have coffee creamer for her to start off the stay.  We also provide bottle waters, snacks like chips and crackers.  Well, apparently that is not good enough for her.  In all this years, I had not encountered guest requesting for me to prepare cereal and milk for them.  I found that unreasonable.  We are not a bed and breakfast place, although it’s called Airbnb, are we? 

Anyway, the next morning I went to the shops and got her a muffin and milk.

The guest left me a 3 stars review, stating that my listing was not accurately described, no fresh milk, bed too small(we have a double), no cooking facilities(we use portable stove), far away from train station and supermarkets (5 min walks) while most of my other guests thought our location was fantastic and close to everything. 

I felt that she did not read our listing descriptions and then gave bad review on her own expectations.  I took photos of all the things we provide on the Airbnb listing.  I will even send a pre check in information to our guest.  I felt that whatever she needs to know is already listed.   I do not like surprises and therefore I have been making sure my guest knows what they get before they arrived.  

Will you message your guest to explain we are not a bed and breakfast? Or reply a public review in her review? She probably thinks I am defensive again.  Or I should just take it as part of the business.  

31 Replies 31
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I always provide fresh milk (and I mean fresh, it’s pumped from the farmer’s pasteurising station up the road)... but it’s not really the point. Hosts provide what we say we provide and for each of us that is different and depends on what is available, at a reasonable price, in our part of the world.

Guests are notoriously bad at reading listing details, thus some come with expectations of their own making, from their (sometimes limited) experience in using Airbnb... or even travelling. Oddly, the worst guests I’ve had are those who travel regularly and have wild ideas about what should be provided, based on whatever they have seen... whether it was in a 5 star hotel or not.

I often have guests who arrive after 9 hours driving or 18 hours flying. So many arrive late, tired and hungry... they even get agitated about it... it’s insane. For this reason I have started keeping a pile of Instant snacks I can prepare and offer them for $10 per person. Check out my listing, you will see it listed there under “upgrades”.  Luckily in NZ, being compensated by visitors for offering food in a private residence is outside the scope of NZ food licensing laws, although liquor licensing applies so we can’t sell them a bottle of wine. Check out your local laws before offering cooked, unwrapped food. It’s nice to know what you can and can’t offer. 

One thing you could do is provide an “honesty box”. A friend of mine (in the middle of nowhere) does this. She puts all manner of food snack items and even bottles of wine in a cute little wooden box with a sign saying “take an item, leave an item”. The idea is, if people arrive late, hungry and unprepared, they can dip into the honesty box to fix themselves a snack, then replace items when they have had time to visit a supermarket. This takes the pressure of you and means you can’t be caught by any food licensing laws, plus you are making it clear about what you provide (and what is extra). Apparently guests really like this approach. It’s different than a hotel minibar because you are effectively saying “I expect you to swap things back in but they don’t have to be identical”, as opposed to the unofficial, sneaky restock approach to avoiding minibar charges... (oh c’mon we’ve all done it).

Guests apparently love this approach for wine. Also, if they don’t replace an item, you can leave a subtext on the sign saying they will be charged. This is different to selling liquor because it’s charging for “theft” technically... neat little loophole 🙂

Good ideas.