Updated Host Protection Insurance?

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Updated Host Protection Insurance?

https://www.airbnb.com/users/hpi_program_summary_pdf

Hello brilliant hivemind,

I've just had an incident that prompted me to look into the Host Protection Insurance (as opposed to the Host Guarantee). This description I found on the Airbnb site says it expired on December 31, 2018. Am I missing something? Is there an updated policy?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Heather

3 Replies 3
Michelle1605
Level 2
Ironton, MN

Thank you for posting the link to the HPI! It does appear to be updated now as it says, "The current term of the policy underlying the HPI Program began on December 31, 2018 and ends December 31, 2019."

Dorothy128
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

@Heather133; @Michelle1605;

Ladies, I followed through with asking for  Host Protection Insurance as a guest had damaged my laminate flooring. I did receive an email, confirming receipt of my issue and that an Allocated Third Party person would be getting in touch with me soon. NOTHING! I called Airbnb and the poor girl answering the phone, obviously could not find the words to tell me it was all a sham. SHAME ON YOU, AIRBNB. I was sticking up for your professional manner in which you handle calls and assist in every way you can. I feel really let down by you and the fact that you continue to brag about having this type of Insurance on your website appaules me. Email received:-

Email received 20aug21 **

**[Private conversation and personal information removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

Marilyn432
Level 2
Ballston Lake, NY

This summer, in our community, at least one host was taken advantage of by a guest. The guest signed up for, and paid for, an 8 night stay. After the 8 nights, the guest (now squatter) refused to leave, invoking the COVID - related eviction moratorium. The squatter said that this is how he makes his living. He held the host house random until the host paid him $20,000 to leave. Does Airbnb protect us against this unethical practice? Does the host need to get a separate short term rental contract to be signed in advance by the renter?