WHy are hosts so worried about keeping superhost status?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

WHy are hosts so worried about keeping superhost status?

Honestly, what does it do for us besides the annual pitiful $100 travel voucher AND the free airbnb magazine? We're all busting our butts worrying about getting, keeping and losing superhost status. WHY? 

Convince me that being a superhost is such a beneficial thing for a host. 

35 Replies 35

@Suzanne302 

A host only needs 10 single night bookings, and 6 reviews, to become a superhost, so anyone can be a SH with less than 2 weeks on the job. Yet Airbnb's official definition states..  "Superhosts are experienced  hosts who provide a shining example for other hosts, and extraordinary experiences for their guests"  Which is not necessarily true at all - and more than a little deceptive to guests. 

I've repeatedly asked Airbnb for the stats on the percentages of SHs with 3 months, 6 months, 12 months and 3 years experience... but they haven't been forthcoming with the info, unsurprisingly 🙂

Meanwhile.... for Airbnb's "Pro Co-Host Partners", the requirement for them to keep their "seal of approval", is a mere 75% 5 star reviews (or 3.75 overall). Sure beats slogging away for a 4.8, as regular hosts must do. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Donald28: Being a Superhost is just a byproduct of hard work and attention to detail. The hosts that look at it only from a money standpont are the ones that usually fail or don't stand out from the crowds of other listings in their cities/towns. We work very hard at our listing and take pride in our home and giving people a wonderful, stress free environment to stay in. Its a business and we look at it as such because if you don't you are " just another listing" .

We just earned our 15th quarter in a row as Superhosts and working towards another 15.

When we do travel we will only stay with Superhosts. 

Have u used all the $100 coupons?! I have 10 quarters in a row and have only used 1 coupon. Seems like they should make the rewards bankable until you use them. You could bank a weeks vacation pretty easily.unnamed (1).gif

@Donald28: We have used them all in the past. Currently have $155 in credits that we will be using to book a trip to Philadelphia this fall. That credit covers at least one night of a booking at this point. We secure more credits generally by sending out the link for "first time users".

@Barry-and-Lera0 

You are spot on.....Being a Superhost is just a byproduct of hard work and attention to detail.

I have one host on the CC that I will not respond to! His philosophy about hosting and mine are at opposite ends of the hosting spectrum. I can learn nothing from him and he can learn nothing from me. But that is fine, we all have to go down this path the way we feel comfortable and the way we feel works for us!

I, like you, have just received my 15th in a row Superhost notification........

Superhost july 2019.png

I think I will just keep doing things the way I am doing them....it works for me !

And for that odd person who feels I am doing it wrong......so be it!

I am getting the results!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4: I agree. Everyone has their own hosting style and that doesn't always jive with other hosts. My wife and I have been self-employed for over a decade. We run our own businesses outside of Airbnb and understand that when you a run a buisness, no matter how large or small it should be done with maximum effort. 

SH.JPG