Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

Hello to all,

I absolutely disagree with the fact that now Airbnb hydes the pictures of the guests.

I deactivated all my adds right now, and there are a lot of reasons to do so.

I am really desapointed, even sad. But I won't continue with this condition and wanted to say it, thanks.

Bye and regards to all.

Jean-Daniel

45 Replies 45
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@J--Daniel0,

Maybe give them also some feedback here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Best regards,

Emiel

I sent a long feedback about this complaining about these changes

Karen1483
Level 4
New York, NY

I feel you. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@J--Daniel0 

I agree with you. Photo is important. It should be displayed anytime.

I wish you the best.

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

Just one more note I realized this morning : so, hosts can't see their possible guests before reservations, but guests still can see their hosts ! **bleep**, how is all this possible ?! 

Ralph102
Level 3
Chula Vista, CA

@J--Daniel0

OK, granted I am a new host but I am going to disagree here...

If a guest has their government ID verified with Airbnb and after an instant book I can see the photo of the guest - and since (per house rules) we check the IDs of the guests when they arrive to match both the name and photo - why would I care if I see the guest picture in advance?    

I mean, even if we turned off instant booking, unless the guest photo shows some advanced stage of a skin degeneration disease with open sores and puss pouring out... why wouldn't I rent to them?   

-R

Exactly. You would not see the open sores and pus unless you can see profile pic

Often times its not just a photo thats missing its a host of other things ie newly registered, no reviews, lack of government ID. At least having a picture we could see who we were dealing with and take this kinda seriously. Would you open your house door to a random stranger or give the keys your car to a random stranger. Same concept. 

Its not the one issue of lack of photo that steams most of our kettles its the slow erosion of hosts abilities to judge if a guest is who they say they are. Itd be different if they took away photos of guests and in turn made them all pass a background check or made them all upload verified govt IDs. They are taking away from one pile but not adding to the other. I host people in my home so I need as much information as I can before I hit that accept button. 

Right but the policy is to prevent hosts from declining guests due to their photo.  (my skin sore example was meant to be tongue-in-cheek 🙂   While I am sure those objecting to the policy here would not discriminate based on sex, race, or other protected category I am sure Airbnb, looking at their analytics, see the opposite.  

If the reservations are generally rejected say 5% of the time (based on the market area, property type, etc.) yet reservations with photos of a young person / old person / minority / whatever show a 15% rejection rate, it could very well be due to discrimination.   Airbnb therefor makes an option to allow the guest to mask their photo prior to booking, further protecting themselves (and us) from liability by maintaining a platform that would not allow hosts to discriminate.

I get it and while some hosts want to mull over the photo, use their personal experience, tea leaves or Ouija board to determine if the potential guest will be a good guest - I agree with Airbnb.   Guests can still have their photo public if they choose, but if they have been subject to discrimination and would like to rent a room free of that hassle, they can.

Now certain countries or regions may not have the same anti-discrimination laws as we do here, but I think it's good policy.   If a host wants to protect themselves from a bad guest, they would be better served doing it other ways (not allowing renting a 3 bedroom house to a single guest for one day, keeping the cost higher to weed out those just looking for cheap accomodations, being clear in their rules and finding ways to monitor compliance with the guests, etc.)

My 2c.  -R

I just read a post where as supposedly verified guest,is not able to pay his bill and the host is left without any income for hosting this  scoundrel for three day...

verication is not up to scratch and without a picture of the guest you have no hope. 

You can seeinstant book people but you cannot see guets if they are not on instant book. Since you are new, try to understand better what is going on and what we are discussing here as a topic!

Puss is a cat 

Gail243
Level 2
Taft, TN

I am very concerned about this new rule that just changed on us in midstream.  There are some that will say they are a young college student when all the while without a picture it could be America’s Most Wanted   They could have stolen a credit card or whatever.... I don’t feel this is going to go over well. I am very upset how this was sprung on us.   This rule should be only for new host not the ones that are already in this business and this is how we maintain our places by knowing WHO is coming.... Very bad idea. No pic.,  

Thomas-and-Damian0
Level 7
Killcare Heights, AU

Looks as if we are not the only one!!! We too decided after three years hosting guests from around the world it’s time to say bye bye Airbnb. The latest novelty where guests don’t need to have a picture in their profile was the last nail in the coffin. You may as well book a room in any hotel from now on. It’s exactly the same procedure.