Water leaked from bathroom into basement, should I file a claim against the security deposit

Elizabeth10
Level 10
Fort Wayne, IN

Water leaked from bathroom into basement, should I file a claim against the security deposit

I have guests in my upstairs and have a private entrance \ living area in my basement.  When I came home from grocery shopping yesterday, I found a significant pool of water in my basement (guestimate 16-32oz).   There was a significant "river" of water runing from the drip spot to the basement pit.   i photographed the "river".  This is what I wrote the guest:

Hi xxxxxxx, I just got home from grocery shopping and I found quite a puddle of water on the basement floor, so there was at one time quite a bit of water coming from the upstairs bathroom. It looks like the drip have slowed down by the time I saw there was a problem, but I want to make sure there isn't something still running or leaking. Could the tub\shower curtain not been closed or did the toilet overflow, etc? I thought I would check with you first and then determine if I need to go upstairs and investigate.

RESPONSE 7:02PM:  I haven't seen anything, I just took a shower a bit ago but haven't seen any water. Anywhere

HOST:  Ok keep an eye out if there is water behind the toliet to make sure it not leaking from the tank or the floor if the seal is going bad. Where ever it came from seems to have slowed and almost stopped. If I see it start again I'll let you know. Thank you

This is not the first time a guest has caused a significant amount of water to be in places where it should not be.  1) put a soaking wet tub mat on the bathroom floor it looked like several people dripping wet added to the water puddle.  2) broke a distilled gallon of water in the kitchen and left it. 

I have it posted in the bathroom to make sure shower curtain is closed, etc..... along with keeping the bath mat in the tub (people have also walked on it with shoes.  They also left EVERY light on in the house when they leave at night to go to the bars (6 hours).  Thats posted.

The list goes on what I have had to post in the hose and they keep doing it.  Of course, I've left the problem in the reviews, but no other host reviews these guests for problem so I know its not the first time.  I work for a church so I don't make alot of money and I have to keep this income coming in to buy necessities along with upkeep on the house.  

My question is, should I file a claim against the security deposit as water running thru the floor boards to the basement will eventually show up as a problem?  I know you can for something broken, etc.   

PS. I have yet to go upstairs and look form myself, the checkout time is in 15 mintues 

I see some post photos, how do I add them here?

5 Replies 5
Elizabeth10
Level 10
Fort Wayne, IN

Actually now that I look at a 2 cup measure, my guestimate was significantly lower.  My new guestimate is at least 4xs that due to the large ponding space and the "river" flow to the drain.  

Also, forgot to mention 1) after I was home and sent the message, another person took a shower and there was zero amount of new water dripping or ponding onthe basment floor 2) no time in the past has water ever came from that spot, or any other.

I also have been upstairs and you can see where the water ran from the tub by the wall, so the culprit was not making sure the shower curtain was closed.  Do people really think that 

Other issues with this visit, but another major one --- the furnace was moved to 85 degrees when they left for the evening so the furance ran full blast for several hours.  I fiannly went iupstairs to inspect the setting and moved it back and turned it back to the red mark (comfort level).  Otherwise, it wuold have stayed that way all night. 

You may have guested allready, but this was a group of newly 21 year old \ college agers who never had to clean up after themselves.  Food was left on the plates and stove for over 24 hours k, etc. .....

Elizabeth10
Level 10
Fort Wayne, IN

never post without your glasses lol.  the culprit WAS not making sure the shower curtain was closed.  probably had it open on both ends and was left condensed in the middle of the tub

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

One suggestion: try to make your place more 'bullet' proof (aka also known as 'idiot' proof); it comes across as requiring too many tricky things the guest will have to remember and inevitably will get wrong.

I agree with @Fred13

David
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd try fixing the problem so that guests can't mess up. They'll never care as much as you do.