Web site design

David715
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Web site design

I appreciate regular updates to the website, it keeps it fresh and improves how it works in many ways but the design is really terrible from a navigation point of view - that is, it's not very intuitive.

For example the menu options at the top of the page change depending where you are, making it difficult to simply get to where you want to be.

A good (or bad) example of this might be where the menus are arranged towards the top right of the screen and have 'Messages' but when viewing the calendar, they are arranged to the top left and 'Inbox' is the relevant menu option.

The calendar has a variety of views though the newest horizontal strip (a new multi-calendar I think) shows minimal information on each day box which slows down the process of seeing what's happening.

The whole thing is reminiscent of Spotify - multiple routes to the same pages, menus at the top, then some vertically at the side (e.g. on /hosting/listings).

A 'hamburger' style menu drop down and a big coloured button (maybe with a colour-scheme change?) for switching between hosting and travelling would be better.

8 Replies 8
Christina451
Level 2
Woodbridge, United Kingdom

I agree navigation is extremely difficult

Alex1090
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

It seems like the new website layout is make specifically for mobile website convenience. I agree, it absoultely is not easily navigated on a desktop, where I do most of my Airbnb correspondance/work. Would love to see the older design brought back!

Yea!!!

Aplause!!!

How come they invest time to produce something useless to most of us?

A waste of space and I agree,l most work is done on a desktop and not on the mobil which is ok but just good to do something on the go.

Kim605
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I totally agree - it's completely smartphone orientated.   I used to be able to review all my upcoming reservations at-a-glance - now it's scroll, scroll, scroll.  I would say the developers chose not to test user journeys on all platforms.  Airbnb has never been, nor will it be, totally suited to managing on a smartphone.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David715I agree, all of us agree.. the problem is they are changing this website non-stop, something is added, something is taken multiple times an now we have what we have - A STEW 🙂

I am using Airbnb on daily basis but I have no idea how to find half of the pages I need... I am just clicking arround like a blind chicken until I find it. A year ago it was much better. They call it progress, I call it fail.

I couln'd agree more!

Probably those who work on redisigning the page are NOT hosts so they have no clues of our real and daily needs.

... and by-the-way, I can't find how I can go back to the hosting page from inside here!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@David715 I think youre being too kind.  Airbnb doesn't just 'freshen' up the web site constantly, or improve things, it changes the functionality, without notice to hosts, it moves around important pieces of data that are critical to hosting, and that's on top of already being extremely cluttered and not very intuitive, and that was before they further cluttered it up with experiences and plus.  For a web based company, it's actually pretty glitchy and not very user friendly beyond the absolute most basic search.