What do you put in the message before booking is confirmed? How to ensure more reliable guests?

What do you put in the message before booking is confirmed? How to ensure more reliable guests?

Hi,  I've been lucky to have some really nice and lovely guests this summer. Easy and respectful guests.  But recently have gotten a couple less respectful. Was going to post some details, but do you ever worry guests might POSSIBLY read this? ( sounds a little paranoid...) I'm going to have to get more proactive with screening and being selective, and not just hope to be lucky with getting good people.

First, what do you put in that little message that they receive before they book. Is this helpful, do you think people read this and get it? It looks like there are more character spaces now to expand this.

Also how do you inquire more fully about people without it being awkward (and then affecting a possible review - I was thinking).

Also, how do you deal with it if they are not following house rules. (Maybe this should be another thread)  It's great to have more detailed rules, but what if they never read them or just blow them off??

Do you worry about reviews when issues come up? 

Thanks!

PS - It looks like some of the hosts who used to post and respond to questions frequently aren't around much . Where is Robin, Ben, Ann? Don't see them on top contributor list now.

24 Replies 24

Thank you @Laura-And-Mike0 , sometimes I felt like I was overwhelming people if I had too much info or disclaimers, but no, it's necessary. What a cool listing on the Big Island!

If they are Airbnb newbies, I won't accept their reservation until they confirm via the platform that they have read the listing. Once they do that, I follow up with:  "Thanks -- reading between the lines, I am sure you understand. You'd be surprised how many guests were surprised we share a courtyard. . ." That usually gets us off on the right foot, and has helped filter out potential problems.

I try to be very upfront about potential downsides (i.e. there is a limit to how cold the a/c will get, etc.) but as we all know, people don't read, so I reiterate during the quick walk-through on arrival. 

@Pete69, I had a recent guest say, "did you know that you have squirrels who run around on the roof?" Why, yes, yes I do know that. She paused, obviously expecting me to apologize for the squirrels and the noise their tiny little feet make on the cottage roof. I haven't added it to my listing. . .yet.  

Schulla0
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I'm really brand new to hosting (tomorrow will be 2 weeks) I'm worried about some of the bookings I've been receiving so turned IB off.

My perception of being an Airbnb host was to provide travellers with affordable accommodation. I had a request to book form a person who lives in my City, saw there was 1 review on the profile and checked it out. The host expressed her disgust with the guest that the guest is mixing up Airbnb with "Pay by the hour" motels. I declined the request.

I had IB on at the time & received another booking from someone who lives not far from my listing and wanted to check in 3 hours earlier and 3 hours later. It would seem my house was used as a meeting place and I'm not sure if the 2nd person was of age. I'm mortified as these weren't travellers. My morals and values won't allow me to be okay with this. Is there a platform where one can write a review about a guest that is only visible to other hosts? I'm asking just because there might be other hosts who share the same values that might want to avoid this kind of booking. This is my home and I don't feel comfortable providing a safe space for rendezvous, where the focus should be on ppl really just looking for ligit accommodation. 

I'm sorry you've had that experience. There are facebook groups with guest black lists, I've not tried them myself though so I don't know how they work, and if I would recommend them. 

Maybe try raising your prices? Or maybe try to create booking rules so that people have to book for more than one night - if most "real" booking requests are for more than 1 night. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Jennifer1351  Upon receiving a booking inquiry or request, I ask guests to tell me who will be staying with them at the property and what brings them to the area.  I remind them of my major house rules of no smoking, no pets, no parties and no visitors.   They are reminded of our maximum occupancy of 6 persons.  We live right next door to our listing so guests are always met at check-in and walked through the property.  I close the message with "I await your reply".  If no response is received, I decline at the 23rd hour.  I would say past reviews are important but we do host lots of first time Airbnb guests.   Lack of communication is big turn off for me. 

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

For me its a lot about following my gut feeling. I've had lots of great guests, and a few I wish I hadn't hosted. But the majority have all been very nice, friendly and clean. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jennifer1351 I'm here!  I went to my Airbnb for about a month and kind of went off the grid.  But I did have a nice day with @Emilia42!

Others have given you great info about the booking message, but I wanted to mention house rules.  I have a very short list.  But I put things like the info about the thermostats, the garbage, wearing shoes - many of the things that are normally put into house rules - in the house manual.  I find people are more motivated to read the house manual because it tells them where the coffee things are and how to work the TV.  So while they're looking for that info they find the rules.  I have very few problems with people following those rules.

Thanks @Ann72 , and glad you're still around!

@Jennifer1351   this is the 1st message EVERY guest gets after contacting me

with inquiry, request or IB... Repeating most important house rules and location info.

There is nothing "awkward" about to let a guest know what to expect,

my expectations and the consequences, breaking important rules. 

For me this is very helpful! :

Hi, I will get back to you ASAP with your welcome message.
Meanwhile here our standard info to all upcoming guests:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL OUR UPCOMING GUESTS
48H Grace Period / we give FULL REFUND
If cancellation is within 48 hours of booking.

Check In: 2pm to 12am / Check Out: on or before 11am

Getting around:
- DISTANCE TO SUBWAY STATION IS 0.6 MILES / 950 METER
(AROUND 10 MIN WALK) UP THE STREET
- Franklin Av. with great Restaurants, Bars and Bakery's
1 STOP (3min.) by 4-Train
- Barclay Center / Downtown Brooklyn
2 STOPS AWAY
- Manhattan (Downtown) in 20 min.
by (4) Subway-Express Train.

- Supermarket, Take-Out Eateries and Breakfast are 2 Blocks away.

Our House is located in a residential area of Jewish/Caribbean
working class neighborhood. It's a great base to get well rested
at night and to explore the city by using the (3) and (4) Subway.

BUT If your preferences are, to be in center of everything and you need walking distance to Brooklyn's hot-spots and nightlife, this is perhaps not the perfect place for you and we want to give you an opportunity to reconsider.

Different Guests Have Different Needs...
And That's 100% OK!!!

DOUBLE-CHECK IF A PLACE IS THE RIGHT FIT:
- SUBWAY STATION IS 10 MIN WALK
- Read Reviews
- Read ALL provided listing information and house rules
- See the provided location and map-information

By giving you honest information about our accommodation,
our main goal is, that you have a great time in New York,
regardless you are staying with us or somewhere else!

AIRBNB MESSENGER CONVERSATIONS AND HOUSE RULES ARE PART OF THE RENTAL CONTRACT.

STRICT:
- THE BOOKING GUESTS NEEDS TO HAVE FULLY VERIFIED ACCOUNT WITH VERIFIED ID AND CLEAR PROFILE FACE PICTURE
- NO LOCAL MEETUPS, VISITORS AND/OR OVERNIGHT GUESTS that are not previously registered with full name or booked and agreed by host in writing. BREAKING THIS RULE WILL BE REPORTED AS TRESPASSING AND RESULTS IN CANCELLATION OF YOUR STAY, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE OUR PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY
- WE NOT HOSTING NYC LOCALS WITHOUT WRITTEN AGREEMENT AT TIME OF THE BOOKING.
- AS CIGARETTE AND/OR MARIJUANA SMELL IMPACTS OUR BUSINESS, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ANY VIOLATION OF THE NO SMOKING RULE WILL RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF YOUR STAY, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE OUR PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR PROFESSIONAL CARPET, BED, SOFA CLEANING (thanks for understanding, and thanks to our great guests, WE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM REG. SMOKING in the past).
- NO check in allowed under influence of illegal substances and/or alcohol.
- EVERY GUEST COMING ON OUR PROPERTY WILL BE ASKED FOR ID.

We trust you with a key to our house, BUT OF COURSE we want to know, who you are and who you bringing with you.

Thanks for understanding 😉

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Jennifer1351 

I think it's  perceptive of you to worry that a guest might read what you have written on these boards.

I often thing the same.

However. if you post in HOST CIRCLE ( not hosting or help) only HOSTS can see these threads.   OR that's what I"ve been lead to believe.  If i need help with a problem guest, I only ever post on host circle.

Hope that helps!