What has gone missing at your place

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

What has gone missing at your place

Hi guys......just wondering what you've had walk out with a guest.  I just had my 1 yr Anniversary this Aug. I feel I've been very lucky compared to a friend around the corner.  Just the other day the end of a bag of coffee walked out, probably 6-8 pots worth, what pissed me off is my nice Gevaila coffee scoop went with it, had a tag with the Eiffel Tower walk out and some extra toothbrushes, all pretty simple things, but I really liked that nice coffee scoop for the guests, just thought it was a little thing that just added a nice touch.

47 Replies 47
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wende2  cutlery, too many dish towels, bath towels, glasses and plates (they probably broke them), pens, plastic food containers.... stuff like that.

We were very lucky 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0  After hearing the things people have had stolen, my things are petty trivial little items.  I did have a guy break a dish, an he did tell me.  I just went to our local everything's a dollar store to replace it, as the dishes an cups get broken that's what I'll be replacing it with, oddly enough they have some really nice items in that store.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Pound / dollar stores are great.

Chose the right colour and right design and they look way more expensive.

Hi...I'm shocked at how nice some things are, they have really pretty summer dishes with sunflowers.

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

Another question for you guys...what would you think after your guest were gone and you found all the toiletries in a bag on the kitchen counter, I jumped to the conclusion that one of them planned to take it, an maybe someone said no not to.  Everything was full too, nice Dr Teal's body wash, both shampoo an conditioner were just put in the week before, as was the kids watermelon shampoo, all in the bag.!?

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

You will just have to let it go as they were not actually taken.

But when reviewing do not recommend them. They will not see you have done this.

We gave up on good toiletries, we now have a shower gel, shampoo and conditioner dispenser by the shower. Less, waste and less use of plastic as we buy bulk containers to fill it up. We use Treseme shampoo and conditioner and guests love it and it's reasonably priced.

However, this may not work for more bespoke / boutique places. Ours are more for guests staying one or two nights - people shopping or on a night out so it works for us.

Hi.......I didn't pay much for those things, an I did say NO to host them again.  They came for a triathlon here, I thought the tub looked like he washed his bike in it, then a friend said it was probably the days crude from the race, after a long soak, either way he could have raised it before it all dried up, they moved the furniture around, an left the place like a mess.  I hosted people the last 3 triathlons an the apt was left pretty much how they found it.  I'm wondering of you say NO to hosting again if your listing shows up in their search, I honestly hope not, would certainly be a nice way to keep those people from booking again.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I've had a king size doona cover taken, and weirdest of all, the metal tube and cleaning brush from the vacuum cleaner.

Hi.......guess yours was the same as theirs.  I've read some doozies here.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

Once in a while we have a bed pillow go missing but this has only happened with families with children so I am guessing it was mistaken for one that they brought from home in the hub-bub of packing up. 

We had a guest message us to say they took our carbon monoxide detector and offered to send it back to me. Apparently they travel with one and it was the same make as theirs. The wife packed up one and the husband packed up ours. 

HI......that's actually not a bad idea to take that detector along.  Nice they did tell you, instead of seeming like weirdos.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I believe most of our missing items were broken or damaged - 4 plates (I leave out a dozen) - a few wine glasses, a beach towel and a set of sheets. 
We ask guests to replace items they break - so the next guest isn’t inconvenienced. Most people do this and the replacement is usually of a better quality.

HI.......I'm really surprised people go out an replace what they've broken.  I had a guy tell me he broke a plate, I went to the local Dollar Tree an bought another, that's great tho that your guests have done that.

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

From my private room rental: 1 umbrella and 1 travel adaptor. They seem to love taking travel adaptors. I just request the cost of the item through Airbnb before writing a review, and they always send it on (touch wood I don't have more things missing or people not repaying!)

HI......someone else said they ask the guest to replace broken items, an they do, which surprised me. Glad you're being reimbursed, good idea asking before you leave a review.  I'm Thankful the things I've had taken are simple items that aren't costly....just makes me mad.