What is the hold up with adding a pet fee option to the reservations???

Raquel24
Level 10
Gibsons, Canada

What is the hold up with adding a pet fee option to the reservations???

Airbnb please, please add the pet fee option already.  It has been long enough 'in the works'.  Not having the pet fee option clearly listed during the booking and reservation process makes it more difficult for hosts and guests.  We, the pet friendly airbnb hosts would like the pet fee option put in place asap.  We need it to continue offering wonderful pet friendly accomodation and to be compensated for the added cleaning and services we provide guests with pets.  

27 Replies 27
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Post this in the "host voice" section.  That is a forum for hosts to suggest ideas directly to the company.  If enough people resond or "like" the comment (maybe 20, but I am not sure), then the company will review the idea.  

Better yet, check to see if someone has already posted this idea there, and comment on it or like it.

Danielle185
Level 1
New York, NY

Yes we def need that! A guest showed up with her bunny and it was a MESS! After that I no longer allow pets but if there were an extra pet fee I would def consider it again! 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I charge a pet fee through the Resolution Center and prefer to continue to do it this way because the fee is then not subject to Airbnb's charging a percentage of it. The fee is spelled out clearly in my listing and when I am coorespinding with a potential guest prior to booking, I ask if they agree to my sending the fee via the resolution center. I send the request right after the guest books the apartment, and I require that the request be accepted by the guest before they can check in. I won't release the door code until the Resolution Request is agreed to by the guest. So far this has worked for me and most of my guests have booked with 1 or 2 dogs. I Airbnb were to add a place for the fee, they'd probably take their cut. 

I dont mind Airbnb taking a cut, like it does for any other fee.  I am aware of the work arounds that need to be done to charge a pet fee.  It is unecessary to have these extra steps when this well used fee could be so clearly laid out for the guest.  The pet fee is like any other fee, such as the extra guests or cleaning fee.  It needs its own clear box in the reservation process.  

great idea. thanks! if u dont mind, what is/are your fee(s)?

I charge $20 per pet per booking.  I charge $25 per extra person.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is no way AirBnB is not aware of this issue, this and taxes have come up many many times.

David
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ali40 that is ok BUT... keep in mind that you can use the resolution center just ones. So if you use it for charging pet fee then you will not be able to use it again if your guest make any damage. So maybe it would be better if you make reservation change and add pet fee on top of the total sum. 

@Raquel24 Airbnb doesn't charge his service fee on your cleaning fee, just on your accomodation nightly price. And there are no other fees except cleaning fee and ABB service fee.

I would also like the pet fee option to be available. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 - Where is the rule written that the Resolution Center can only be used just once? It is set up to charge for extra services. I could have several extra services that I might provide for a guest, so why would there be a limit? Allowing pets is just one service. I might also pick someone up from the airport, or provide a meal. 

@Ali40 

I didn't try it for myself but it was mentioned here on forum several times. Have you ever tried to use resolution center twice for the same guest?

I have not noticed any added fees when I add a pet fee.  I add the pet fee by sending a revised reservation request.  But the guest can always decline so it is not the best way to add a pet fee.  It should be clear and up front.  

@Branka-and-Silvia0 You are  spreading incorrect information. According to Airbnbhelp on twitter a host can open multiple Resolution Center charges or refunds as they need to for a guest / booking.

Hi Ali, you should be able to open multiple resolution center cases per reservation. If you attempt to create a resolution center case and you experience any issues, please let us know & we'll follow-up accordingly.

@Ali40 that's interesting... because there were cases mentioned here on cc where damage was done and host made a claim  through resolution center but later he discovered more damages and was not able to make another claim.

Anyway, tnx for this useful info , maybe they changed that

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Those situations probably have more to do with the host not submitting the claims within the time parameters set by Airbnb and not the number of resolutions center requests submitted. Airbnb advised me to use the Resolution Center to collect pet fees when I first started hosting.