What's not clear about this description?

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

What's not clear about this description?

This is how I describe this listing:  "Our tiny hand-sculpted earth cottage is 7miles from the Portland airport, a 5-minute walk to a strip mall and restaurants. You’ll love this strictly 1-PERSON SPACE because of its rustic charm, quaint, quirky and artistic nature, and the garden. It was built with love, song and dance. It's only for solo travelers..."

So why oh why oh why have I had 5/5 of the last bookings/inquiries become about whether it can have 2 guests?  Isnt' it pretty obvious this is for 1-person only?

2 weeks ago had a guest book and inform me she was bringing her 2-year old son.  In addition to being a 1-person space only, our house rules are 'no infants' and 'no children' as we have an unprotected pond.

I also had one guest book a 5 day stay, and when I asked her the day before she was due to arrive is she had an arrival time, she answered me and then a few minutes later sent another note advising me that although she'd booked for 1 guest (the only way she can book) there would be two of them arriving.  When I informed her it's for a single space, she then tried to get airbnb to change it.  They called me because she wanted a refund and the airbnb support person said (quite clearly not having read our exchanges) that she'd tried to change it to 2 but as she wasn't able to the guest wanted a full refund.  

Is it too much to ask guests to even read a listing description?

21 Replies 21
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Cari3 @Suzanne302 

Title one of my listings says breakfast! Parking! Etc etc. Guests booked and first were pleasantly shocked to see breakfast. The next day they messaged me asking what to do about a parking ticket they got on the street. I asked them why they parked there and they had no clue about the garage. Which they can also see right in the back of the house, I sent instructions on how to open it before arrival, and, of course, drum roll, the title

Oh Lordy......I would have no words except that it’s just soooooo what I experience ALL THE TIME with all 4 of my listings!!!  And what should they do with the parking ticket?  I suppose they would have liked you to offer to pay it!  

@Cari3 

They were actually very nice. I offered to help them dispute it but they ended up paying it because it was a rental car. But yes, me paying would have been expectation of most

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

lol, @Inna22  😄 😄

we could all copy/paste lorem ipsum in our listing's description and it would make no difference 😄 

LOL - that is super funny.  Funny but sadly true!

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Until one will come along and will demand a refund for no meet and greet with local dinosaur, a lack teleporting machine to move around the city or a cooking class with alien because they did read the description and how dare we promised things that were not there

@Inna22 

I would stick to original lorem ipsum text 😄