What's the best way to enforce policies without affecting your property rating?

Jessica1528
Level 2
Olathe, KS

What's the best way to enforce policies without affecting your property rating?

We're fairly new hosts and I saw one similar post in the community but it was more of a complaint. For successful, experienced hosts, how do you enforce rules and policies without pissing off /risking your review ratings? When do you file a claim against a deposit?

EXAMPLE: We have exterior cameras on the property and very clearly indicate there is no smoking on the property. IF they MUST smoke, we ask them to go 100 feet from the property and dispose of waste properly. Our renters this weekend, while otherwise respectful, having been smoking non-stop right off the deck and there are sleeping beds right on the sunporch. I do not know yet if waste left behind. They have also parked a 3rd vehicle in our neighbors driveway so I had to ask them to move it. Little things like that are no biggie but what about the smoking? They broke a rule - there is a fine for doing so. Do I charge them no questions asked? Do I say something to notify them this is not allowed and I'll let it slide this time? How do you handle this situation gracefully - we can't afford to have a bad review as a new host? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2 Replies 2
Michael3362
Level 3
Nashville, TN

@Jessica1528 Hi. I am new to hosting as well, but I do think it's all about how you communicate to them. I would keep it polite, but maybe a "I hope you are enjoying your stay, however, "friendly reminder". I would make sure to communicate through messenger. If you handle it the right way, and outside of this are "good guest", it will probably reflect in a good way in you review vs. getting a bad review. If it were me, I would let them slide, again if they were good. Maybe a thought would be to put a small sign on the deck reminding future guest of no-smoking. Maybe a funny sign, but a reminder. Look at the other side, they could be smoking inside. Again, more experienced host may have better thoughts. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jessica1528 How much longer the guest is staying would be a deciding factor for me on whether or not I said anything to them about it. Are they already gone? If so, I would let it go. If there are butts left, perhaps mention that in your review, and mark them down on following the rules.

Fining people for behavior isn't enforceable on Airbnb: you can only charge for actual damage, so I would just take that part out of the equation.

If I were you, I would make sure you're reminding people of this rule before they check in and in your welcome message. Most people think that "no smoking" just means no smoking indoors, not no smoking anywhere on the property. I know you lay it out in your rules, but few guests review the rules in any detail before booking. Perhaps even consider putting up a sign at the entrance to remind people that there is no smoking anywhere on your property.