What's up with Denmark?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

What's up with Denmark?

Twice in the last week, I have gotten requests from Danes asking for special treatment.

These prospective guests do not want to provide  their Airbnb their IDs.   I require a valid government ID. They say their government is warning them not to give strangers a copy/photo of their ID.   

So many thoughts and misgivings go through my mind, but I press "Decline" and my stress goes away.

Anyone else have a similar experience.? Is this specific to Denmark and its governments policies? human nature? or a scam abusing Denmark's reputation of goodwill?

9 Replies 9
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Paul154

I do not think it is specific to Denmark.  If they are unwilling to meet your requirements, let them move on.   

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hey @Paul154 I'm a Dane and curious about your guests' requests and special treatment. What are they asking for that is so special?

I'm not sure if its a nationality thing but the first time we were asked for our ID (in Italy), we were puzzled and wary about it because we are careful about giving out sensitive information to strangers as one should be.

Also, Airbnb has the information on ones profile, so when a host asks you want to be careful especially as many hosts don't require this at all.

I'm sorry my fellow Danes caused you stress 🙂

Sorry I wasn't exactly clear.

I don't require to see a copy of their ID, but I do require that they provide  their ID to airbnb and that their picture matches their person.

Else I will ask to see ID at the door.

These guests don't want to verify their ID with Airbnb.com.

Good for them, I just will not accept them.

I tend to think that it is a good scam for people who want to do damage and not be held responsible.

I don't even think these people are Danish.

It is the perfect recipe for a scam.

After all, I do desire Danish guests, they are very nice.  And being of an unknown culture,  I can imbue them with strange thought processes and weird government policies. I.E., the  EU is punishing Google for privacy issues, so it is possible that Denmark's government could warn their citizens about sending ID through the interwebs.

I completely misunderstood your original post - sry bout that!

Hopefully its not a trend from scammers but maybe others have had similar experiences?

For what its worth, I wouldn't either accept those who haven't verified their account properly @Paul154

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Paul154 I understand the need to keep watch over personal info, and I respect any guest who does not wish to hand over their id info. However, that guest won't be renting from me. I'm handing over access to a significant personal investment (my guesthouse & they're in the backyard of my personal home). They must be willing to tell me who they actually are (yes, abb may have this info but I'm fairly certain they will never share it with me) and if they prefer anonymity then they may take themselves to the hotel of their choice. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Paul154  @Christian65

Maybe I misunderstood, but from the question I thought they were reluctant to upload their ID to their profile ?

In some European countries hosts will have to take a copy of the guest's ID to comply with local laws and regulations.  Every guest has to be registered and reported to the relevant tourist authorities, just like in a hotel. But I had a feeling this was not the issue here.

Exactly @Marit-Anne0 

The one time we were asked in Italy was for that reason exactly and I without hesitation showed my drivers license (EU, ID) which he took a photo of.

I would never hand over my passport unless its an official authority because of the sensitive information on it but i'm okay with my drivers license.

Did you ask your guest to send you their ID via email or the app prior of them arriving @Paul154?

I would be very reluctant to comply with that as well unless its upon arrival. Everybody is different but you must always be careful with personal data and information that can be abused. Danes are brought up to be critical yet pragmatic so you could deem it a cultural thing although it's probably just people being careful. And the vast majority of host don't ask of this so that be a factor too.

Sweden is also very sensitive when it comes to personal information and dealings with those. Germany has some of the most strict laws regarding data and personal information that are available and/or withheld from authorities as well as civilians.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I currently do it but am thinking of having a check in form including ID.

Anything they may or may not provide AirBnB is uselesss as you can not access it.

David