What's up with the strange inquiries ?

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What's up with the strange inquiries ?

Hi all,

The last few weeks, I've been getting quite a few inquiries which don't really ask me questions about the space, but are more like "hey, cool place" , or  "this is lovely, I'll talk to my partner", or some do ask a question which shows they never read anything about the space at all (this is not new). 

I've responded, as usual, to keep up my response time, and answered questions with information I think folks need to know. 

I've had a lot of very-recently-joined, zero profile, zero reviews, and one with only email provided, not even a phone number. I asked him for more information.  

Not a single one of these inquiries has turned into a reservation request, and most have not replied to me at all.  One replied with how he was looking forward to his trip, (in the middle of the night), and when I asked him to confirm the reservation, I never heard from him again. 

Anyone else experiencing this ?

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am a little confused by your post, @Michelle53 .  Are you getting inquiries or reservation requests?  You state you ask the guest to confirm their reservation.  If all you are getting are non productive inquiries, then you do not have to respond, but you can choose to.  If you are getting reservation inquiries, you should respond.  Perhaps a saved message would help you.

I haven't had an uptick in the number of non-productive inquiries however.

@Linda108    They are inquiries.     I have to respond with something (I don't accept or decline).

In the past, I've received inquiries that were actual questions, but the most recent ones just seem to be chatty but with no purpose. 

I wondered if the "Contact Host" button on the reworked pages  had anything to do with it. 

Edit: actually, I decided to take a break till the New Year, and blocked out everything till January, when I have a "real" reservation. 🙂

@Michelle53    One in a while I do get a slew of similar—bored trolls?

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Michelle53, if those are inquiries it is not so bad. Just some waste of time. Today I got a request ! from totally new one with empty profile asking about dates that are clearly unavailable in my calendar! He blocked the dates and I had to lower my acceptance rating because of his total stupidity! Rrrr! Where is this promised “guests education”?! 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Michelle53 Yes! Tho' to be fair, most of the inquirers who fail to book (& fail to explain why/don't even reply) have asked 'How far are you from.....?' Don't think I've had the 'Nice place' then silent ones....