What to do if someone turns up who is not the person who made the reservation?

What to do if someone turns up who is not the person who made the reservation?

I have been hosting for nearly a year now, have had almost always good experiences, but twice now, it has happened that the person who arrived on our doorstep was not the same person as the one who booked,  I didn´t even have his name or where he came from and what he was doing, I had to ask him for this information. The last person a few days ago turned out to be a DJ, who was working in a club in the city, and was not home until 3am.   Now that may be fine in a hotel, but this is our home and I really want to know who is staying here.  On both occasions it has been fine, no problems, but this is obviously a loophole in Airbnb´s booking system.  Should I specify this in my listing?  It should be obvious, but although it´s against Airbnb regulations for a 3. party to book on behalf of someone else, it seems to be easy to do.  

9 Replies 9
Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

WOW.
Were those Instant Booking situations?
Include it in your house rules for sure which the person booking has to agree to. I personally wouldn't let that third person in - so not the spirit of Airbnb!

I don't allow people to book under someone else's profiles at all  - unless one of the people is traveling with them. I've even had people create profiles just to book.

I've only had one person get mad about it and refuse to do it. They were trying to book something for their wife, but they were doing so from argentina  (when wife was visiting florida) and I have no idea if the spouse had even seen the listing they were trying to book for them. 

Everyone else - who is serious, just makes their own profile so we can easily communicate. 

If somoene showed up as someone else - no way would I let them stay. Identity theft??? 

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi Marianne,

Did you confront the person? Maybe you can talk to them and asked about it, after inform airbnb and report them. This is not good for airbnb community. Good luck.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Putting it in house rules probably won't help as we know people don't read them. Assuming you don't use instant booking then just ask as part of your email exchange if they are booking for themself

If someone other than the person in the profile shows up at your door, do not let them in and contact Airbnb immediately.  It may have worked out for you these two times, but do not assume it will in the future.  By allowing the non-booked person into your property, you are not covered by Airbnb's host guarantee. This is why 3rd party bookings are not allowed.  It would be very plausible for the booking "guest" to simply say they didn't show and have no idea who that person was who came instead.

What would happen if you turned up at an Airport to checkin using somebody elses ticket?

You could say yes it could happen but there would be no point as no airline will let you fly.

David
Adel1
Level 2
LA, CA

If the guest is willing to furnish a valid ID, I am fine with it.
Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Never let anyone but the person who booked in. It WILL be a problem sooner or later, I promise. Airbnb will back you up, it is against policy, regardless of what your listing says or does not say.
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU LET THEM IN IS MY QUESTION!