Why would you want to start hosting?

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Why would you want to start hosting?

Hey everybody, 

I am a student working on a research project for school. It is a business project that looks at this amazing platform (Airbnb). I have managed to get tons of great information reading through the various threads. But there is one thing that still eludes me. And I am hoping that reaching out to all of you will help me in getting the answers I need for my assignment. 

I am saying thank you ahead of time!!!

So here we go. I would really love if some of you would not mind telling me the following:

1. What was it that motivated you to start hosting your spare home or space?

2. What are the greatest struggles and joys you experience as hosts?

3. What would you change if you could?

I really appreciate all the help I can get, and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! 

Craig

23 Replies 23

1. I got on this colored train out of curiosity, for the joy, to get to know other people, to seek out new worlds, to gain fresh starts.
  2. One of the first things that this experience has taught me is not to be afraid of anything. Some travelers have taught me to trust, how to let someone in, and what it truly means to keep an open mind. Most of them have made my life better in one way or another.
  3. The stars, the review system, the algorithm, the glitter and the rouge.
Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

We had the space, live in a beautiful part of the world, I'm retired and thought it would be nice to share our lovely place with guests and make a little bit of money at the same time. We offer a spacious half of our house, self-contained. In reality the majority of guest are lovely but every now and then you get those guests who are privileged, pompous, arrogant and nothing is good enough for them. Even though I'm British myself, unfortunately the British seem to be in the majority here. They expect 5-star Hotel type accommodation, but don't want to pay for it. They are given the information of what is offered and then complain about what is NOT offered.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

1. My guest room sat empty for most of the year. I don't want a full-time roommate and hosting allows me to make a little extra cash and still be able to block off whatever dates I choose if family or friends come to visit. And I thought it would be interesting to have guests from all over.

2. I've met some wonderful people from many diverse places, we have some great conversations and laughs, and some have become friends who I keep in touch with. It makes me happy when a guest says "I just love my cozy pretty room." "Oh, this is much nicer than I expected" or "I'm so impressed with all the artistic touches."

3. Airbnb's review system, their frustrating customer service, their attitude, their lies about how the host guarantee protects hosts, and their insistence on introducing new policies, features, or changing the site layout without soliciting any prior feedback from hosts or notifying us of the changes. And not managing to fix the things on the site that don't work properly. I just want them to list my place, collect the guest's money, send it to me and butt out.

@Craig302

We started with Airbnb as we had a space but did not want to rent long term.  The extra income was used for varies things starting with kids’ college education, home repairs and now supplement to pay for health insurance and trying to retire.

The joys had been many mostly meeting new people who became friends and helping people have a vacation who may not otherwise afford it.

The struggles, trying to please everyone and still getting hit in the ratings.  Also, to go to the apartment to clean and finding how some guests can be so inconsiderate.

1. What would you change if you could?

Since we cannot change the way Airbnb runs the company, we are changing our way and going long term business/medical.  Too much trying to keep up things on Airbnb so much better with the change to long term.  Would not change my experience with Airbnb and if they ever went back to the old ways we would be on board again.  But for now………

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

1. Money and no eviction troubles as with a long term tenant.

2. Waiting for guests who are late and didn't timely inform us about it .

Guests who don't pay attention to rules or read the listing and then blame us for their wrong assumptions and expectations 

Fixing broken/malfuncioned amenities within 2 hours turnover time frame.

We can't go on holliday in high season. (well, we can but it would be a significant loss of income)

3. A REAL SECURITY DEPOSIT and better review system

I had an extra room that was mostly empty but I definitely didn't want a long-term roommate. I'm not home much to begin with and I enjoyed being an ABB guest user so I thought I'd give hosting a try. If things didn't work out I could always go back to having a mostly empty room. The extra income is nice to have....but I am not dependent on it. Henry and I use it to "splurge" on electronics and appliances 🙂 we also are able to be generous with our guests (especially the ones we really like and become fond of) - for our longer-term guests we love being able to invite them to a nice dinner every now and then. 

I host a lot of exchange student guests and I love it when my guests say my home feels like a "home" away from home to them. I also enjoy hearing about how they view certain aspects of life in Seoul - many times they are things I take for granted or don't notice. Hosting has helped me gain a broader perspective and really mature as a person. In terms of struggles....... I think whenever any guest shows disrespect towards me or my home, it's hard to not take it personally. 

The way ABB handles declines and cancellations due to house rule violatations. And the condesending tone they use in their messages. And the way they handle security deposits (which shouldn't even be called deposits to begin with!). And they sneaky way they change the webpage format and menu and functions without proper notification to hosts. And the review system regarding how scores are interpreted because this 0.1 score difference between a 4.7 basic requirement and then 4.8 requirement to become super host is ridiculous! This continous lack of transparency and accountability will catch up with ABB sooner or later. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Craig302

It helps to pay my mortgage and bills. Initially I was trying to fill a short gap between lodgers, but found that Airbnb works better for me both financially and in at least I am getting paid to clean up after other people now rather than cleaning up after messy lodgers who were not paying for that priviledge, threw parties without my permission etc. etc.

Joys: the extra income, learning about different cultures and also learning more about my city by seeing it through the eyes of a traveller, learning new skills, the satisfaction of a job well done, guests who love my home and all the work I have put into it.

Struggles: guests who do not read the listing and then complain in their reviews about stuff mentioned already. Guests who are determined to ignore check in times, which they think shouldn't apply to them. Guests rating me down on location, Airbnb's fees or other factors I have no control over. Guests frequently damaging things.

Better guest education from Airbnb. Major overhaul of the ratings process, especially telling guests that 4 stars = good, when actually it is very bad news for a host. A REAL security deposit would be helpful as a deterrent if nothing else. Guests required to select a one hour check in window, within the SPECIFIED check in times, when booking.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

Like everyone else says, the money. But the flexibility of controlling the calendar was what drew me specifically to airbnb. 

The opportunity to meet new people is wonderful but I really wish they would actually read the listing. 

I wish I had confidence that Airbnb had my back if something goes wrong with a guest.  Sadly I just consider that they are a computer program that funnels the money.

Well I’m a new host and have four horror stories already!

Guest #1 - Booked 4 people showed up with 6 and then lied about my unit when I protested about the extra unannounced guests.  They left immediately!!

Guest #2 - Two college age young woman whom I thought would be perfect!  Nope!! Dirty gyals they left their nasty panties on the floor for 3 full days and snook an extra friend in the second night.

Guest #3 - They were decent and clean no real complaints except after a week of catering to their every need they didn’t even leave a review.

Guest #4 - By far the worst yet and he’s still in my home!! Dirty underwear on the floor (a weeks worth); 9-13 empty coke cans on nightstand; crackers on floor under bed; personal hygiene products available but he hasn’t bathed in 10 days!! Walks all night long up n down in apartment sits up all night drinking soda and eating junk food.  Refused to allow cleaners to clean the room until I got involved.  Then wants to pay me with somebody else’s personal check!  Wtf? No get out now...oh you still have on night **bleep** it!! 

Ive learned some valuable lessons in just two weeks of hosting.  I now know who I will host and I now know enough to not take reviews at face value.  The dirty and nasty man in my home now had 4 good reviews but I realize they lied to get him out of their homes.  He stayed in 4 different Airbnb homes in one month.  Each host gave him a good review but I find it hard to believe that one host even noted “clean and tidy”. There is no way in hell that they are referencing the slob I have in my home.  Oh and I forgot he walks around in his underwear at all times.  Now I have a 16 y.o. male son on premises as well as other guests.  All of them have mentioned bumping into the nasty man in the hall or kitchen in his boxers and no shirt.  I need a 😴 I’m exhausted and disgusted.  But I have made enough money to fully renovate my kitchen and bathroom so was it worth it?  Yes, I got another booking last week and this guest is a model citizen he has moved in permanently and is the perfect tenant!

Like anything else in the world we must separate the good from the bad!  And Airbnb has more than it’s share of bad apples; higher rates will keep most of the transient riff raft away from your unit.  At $30 per night I was besieged with requests; at $75 per night I’m hoping to attract a better clientele.  Well that was my Airbnb experience so far and any suggestions comments or critiques are welcome!