Zika in Costa Rica

Zika in Costa Rica

Hi, I'm Kathy and a host in north central Costa Rica. I am keeping informed of the Zika situation, and to my knowledge there have been 2 cases of Zika contracted in a Pacific beach town, and in response the Ministry of Public Health declared a national emergency because they want it eradicate or contain it as best as they can by eliminating and/or treating mosquito breeding sites.

Do any Costa Rican hosts know of the progress of this campaign?

I always include information in my informational emails to guests about dengue and chikungunya and include a link to the US Centers for Disease Control page which contains information on ways to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. It is easy to find on the CDC.gov website and you can also sign up to receive emails with any updates on all of these mosquito borne diseases)

I don't want to be alarmist, however, about Zika if there have been so few cases and if the risk is low due to the public health department's campaign. I do feel that potential guests do have a right to know the degree of risk of this or any other risky conditions such as high crime areas. Forewarned is forarmed, and knowledge is power.

Thanks! Kathy

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kathy-and-Bernie0 You have good ideas!  And, in the event a guest wants to cancel because of a Zika scare, you might contact Airbnb to see what their policies are.  Sometimes in the face of a natural disaster or disease outbreak the waive the host cancellation policy.  

Hi Claire,

The official number of confirmed cases of Zika that were transmitted in Costa Rica is now 8, all in the same locale around Samara and Nosara. But that number has not risen in quite some time so hopefully the Costa Rican Health Department has got it contained.

The Tico Times reports that there are 12 cases, but the extra 4 cases were transmitted to Costa Ricans who were visiting other countries and got it there.

I have already refunded a woman who was pregnant and didn't want to take the chance. I think it's only reasonable.