adding wines

adding wines

Hi all

we are new at hosting and we’re thinking of adding wines to purchase 

we were wondering if anyone else is doing this and what would be the best way to do it 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you an appropriate license to sell alcohol @Danny392 ?

No Helen we don’t 

there is no doubt we need to enquire further but we’re wondering if other hosts are doing that

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Danny392  Nope. I don't sell anything to my guests once they have booked the room. There are plenty of places to buy whatever they want and/or need nearby. Too many liabilities when providing "altering" substances. Plus, would I have red or white on hand?  🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I find the idea of trying to sell anything to my guests distasteful.

@Danny392  Officially - if you're selling alcohol to guests without the proper license, you might as well go ahead and offer them weed or cocaine or prostitutes while you're at it.

That said, if you happen to be in a very remote area with nowhere nearby to purchase wine or groceries, the possibility of an informal purchase might be worthwhile. You'd want to offer that strictly on a peer-to-peer basis, with no mention on your listing, and only after you've established some degree of trust with the guest.

If it turns out that you're actually close enough to shops that guests can supply themselves, this is a moot point. Guests would probably find it distasteful, as @Sarah977  says, if you made any hint of trying to sell them more stuff.

Tim2056
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I'm curious do you want to try to make more money with your listing by doing something like this?

We at wine.com are considering ways to help with this since we handle the legal side of it within the context of our business model.  And we know many friends who travel who either buy wine at the local market or if they work at our company order it through us and either have it delivered to the home or any one of the thousands of drop off places we work with (Walgreen's, FedEx, etc.)