condiments

condiments

hello, we are new to this and had our first guests last night. They are here while I type. So our add states that " they are welcome to use the kitchen providing they have their own food, we only supply a contiental breakfast" 

they brought food to grill, but asked us for mustard, ketchup, chips....... we did offer sodas. 

Hubby and I feel very awkward in our own home. Is ths something anyone else feels? And how do you handle when they ask for things, like ketchup. I know this seems very petty..... but .........

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Danny-and-Tatanya0, I rent an entire house so I have the basics: salt, pepper and some spices.  That's it.  Everything else they need to purchase.  Perhaps they thought you had these things on hand anyway? If my guests asked me if I had some mustard, and if I did, I'd give it to them. Chips, well that's another category...I'd expect them to get their own.  That said, I charge a hefty price too.

Thank you Claire. I dont want to seem petty, and I feel I am being just that. They were VERY good guests! Cleaned up , made their beds, emptied the trash.... It just an adjustment, having strangers in your home, overall this was a good experience. 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When I go to treat myself at any chain coffee shop or similar I keep the sugar salt pepper ketchup sachets I don't use but pay for and put them all in a bowl for guests it works a treat and builds up at Xmas I was given a round silver tin with about ten identical pots of nots and raisins well two days ago my guest a young American took two which was fine but a mystery as she didn't touch the cereals then when I was saying goodbye to her yesterday :to a long train trip she asked if she could have another "trail finder' pointing to the pots

will some kind American please tell me what on earth that words actually means please

Well, @Sara2 (hello there!) I'm American and I have no idea what a "trail finder" is! Did she mean Trail Mix?  That's a kind of mixture of nuts, chocolate, dried fruit, etc. Something to snack on, generally while hiking, but will do when travelling as well. 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@@Clare thank you very much it was nuts and raisins so I guess that's what we created but until she pointed I was clueless I added more nuts and an orange and tipped them into a ziplock bag for her; had visions of Hansel and Gretel trailing through the woods dropping them if it's not a Brand name it should be . 

Sherri0
Level 3
Bend, OR

Hi

I offer my guests full use of my condiments, spices, and a wide selection of teas.  Being abe to cook in the kitchen makes it more affordable than eating out.  If they had to purchase all their condiments, it would make cooking more expensive.  That being said, my longer term guests often buy their own condiments even though they have access to mine.