crazy neighbor pt2

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

crazy neighbor pt2

Well its been awhile since my nosy neighbors tried to confront any of my "roommates". (At this point when someone books for at least a month they are a roommate.) Well this morning my roommate texted me out of my slumber and said she was unpacking from the car and two older blonde ladies told her that she cant stay here and then proceeded to take a picture of her and her car. Mind you her living here isnt illegal and according to all laws and she has a legal right to park whereever she likes just like everyone else on my street.  I text her all is well and to just brush it off. Well, about 30 minutes later Im opening my blinds and see the same lady circle my roommates car while my roommate is getting in her car to drive away. I just about lost it!

I throw on my pants and run outside to finally confront this ignorant Nosey Neighbor Nancy. Id like to say I was nice but when dealing with idoits afraid of change theres just no time for pleasantries. They have thick heads and only see things one way. Well I laid into her and told her to explain herself and why shes talking to ANY of my roommates. She says "you know why". I said "explain it to me". To which she says "what youre doing is illegal". Well, I have contracts for my monthly roommates and have talked to the city enforcement and what Im doing is perfectly legal. She went on to say she lives  next door and what Im doing is illegal and the noise is a bother. I told her to take it up with the city code enforcment or the police to which she replied she has and she knows people. The only noise I hear are planes overhead and her dog barking through the wall at random times of the day. At this point I realize shes clearly spinning her wheels at either the city ignoring her or shes blissfully unaware of the rules of the game. I went on to tell her if she continues to engage or harrass my roommates Ill slap her with a protective order and she her in court. She clams up and walks away and  I tell her its all in black and white. To which she chuckles and repeats me while walking away.

Im not going to allow some willfully ignornant nosy neighbors harrass or bully me or my roommates around. There are laws for a reason.

Ive spoken at length with code enforcement and although they wont tell her to stop harrassing or inform her of the rules they tell me some neighbors arent the nicest and to talk to the police department. This is the life of a host.

11 Replies 11
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Zacharias0 

Sounds like trespassing to me. I don't know what the laws are in Vegas, but in my city, once someone steps foot on your property and you inform them you do not want them on your property, any time they step on your property again is considered trespassing and you can file a police report.

What a pain in the ass, but it would send a message. She'd probably just continue to harass from her property though.

I used to live in Fayetteville. 🙂 We had the robust discussion in front of my house on the sidewalk. Trust me had she even bothered to step foot on my property itd be a whole different story. Ive had to install over $5k worth of fenching and gates and landscaping to keep their dog from crapping in my yard and from them walking on my property.

Mary703
Level 6
San Jose, CA

Have you heard of Pre-Paid legal? Years ago I used them for about a year to handle some legal issues I was having, and it worked like a charm (at the time I was only paying $16/mo, and it saved me hours of headache). They can send your neighbor a notarized letter on their Attorney letterhead, which may help her to "stay in her lane". The referring attorney office they will give you will be local, so they will know your city code.

Also, if you haven't already searcned on Nolo, there is probably some good verbiage on harassment, cease and desist, interfering with your doing business, etc., and I would photocopy and send her a registered letter with codes, etc., so that she knows you mean business. A bit of work on your end up front, but I have had a nutty neighbor as well. Good luck!!

p.s. if you haven't already, I would start keeping a log of times and conversations. Next confrontation walk out with your phone and let her know you are recording the conversation. When you take away the "he said, she said" it should force her to reconsider her threats and prying.

Thanks for the advice. I have them through my job and will look into using them. Its a shame that I could print out the ordinance and plaster it to her forhead and she'd still continue to be uninformed. The city doesnt act against a homeowner unless they have hard evidence that laws are being broken. They will supboena the usual STR websites and stake out the house at random times. The only thing they will gather is that I have long term roommates and the case would be closed. It seems the issue is that they arent communicating their findings with people who are reporting the issue. Who knows? Perhaps I'll touch base with code enforcement.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'll be honest, I don't think you did yourself any favors here.  I'm sure it felt good to lay into your neighbor, but in all probability, she's not going away, and you may have motivated her to start looking for any other legal or code infractions that she can find to bother you with.  You may have fared better in the long run if you had tried to be polite to her instead of, as it sounds, being super aggressive and unpleasant.

Im not looking for favors and she was the one who has continually provoked incidents. Im following the law as its written that was just passed. Ive spoken to code enforcement and they agree. We are all reading from the same book except for these nosy neighbor vigilanties that want to enforce their rule.  I live in a townhome with a small front yard so theres litle if any  code infractions to report. Im not going to hunker down and play nice with these lunatics that have got everyone rilled up against STR operators with fabricated lies and theories of who and what we do. Im an onsite host and take care of my house and property. Opponents of STR operators have this wild notion for a long time that we are throwing parties nightly with loud music and people puking in the streets and cars blocking driveways which is far from the case.

If she wanted to play nice she should have her ducks in a row and provide evidence.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Zacharias0 

You are my hero!

Thanks. We can only take so much. This is more about my rights as a homeowner. How dare neighbors think they have the right to tell you what you can do in your house?!?!

LOL, well you handeled that WAY better than I would have!!

Reva3
Level 1
Springdale, AR

May city does not come up. Are there communities in my area?  Springdale,Arkansas