fees

Eilis2
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

fees

Wondering about Air BnB fees.  The company is taking  70 Euro from a rent of 420 Euro.  Is this standard?  It seems like a big service fee.

What happens to the 'Cleaning Fee'?  Do they keep it ?  

??

3 Replies 3
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi @Eilis2, Airbnb takes 3-20% of the booking fee - no idea how this is calculated but you can look this up in the Help centre. Of course you get the cleaning fee unless you're getting Airbnb to clean for you! Happy hosting!

Eilis2
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks.  So sometimes they take 3% but in my case it's 20%!   How do you get to be one of the hosts who pays 3%?  It's quite a spectrum, isn't it?  I understand that they pay for the website, handle the bookings, and provide some sort of insurance (hopefully - never quite sure what that insurance covers.)  They deserve some cut.  I would have thought 10% would cover their costs and provide them with a fair profit. I find their Help Centre mainly baffling.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eilis2 The service fee for hosts is 3%. The service fee for guests can range from 10-20% it seems, but how they calculate which listings get charged what is a mystery to most of us. If they had great customer service and their site was user friendly, then fees like 20% might be justified, but for a company whose customer service can be frustrating and often maddeningly inadequate, and a site that's often hard to find things on and has continual tech glitches, it does seem excessive.