guest shared our contact info with others in the party

guest shared our contact info with others in the party

Hi there!

We've been airbnb hosts for 5+ years now......this week we have a new airbnb user staying with us. I knew she might be a pain when she sent me her email address and told me to contact her there to hash out detail of the stay. Nope!

We have a strict policy that guests use ONLY the messenger within app to contact us. I told her this. She downloaded the app.

The next day I get a couple of texts from her family- whom she's shared my personal phone number with. They're asking all kinds of details about the house that can easily be found in the listing.

Am I wrong to be irritated by this?  I don't want 12 strangers having my phone number, and texting me at all hours of the day.

How would you handle this situation?

6 Replies 6
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Brady---Shae0, she is going to be a pain in the rear, I can tell already, as can you! I'm willing to bet she will be irritating and bothering you during the entire stay, probably also complaining and not understanding how to leave an appropriate review.

I say go with your gut! I might think about trying to cancel the booking if you can think of a way to do so without impacting your numbers. Was it IB? 

Gorgeous place, btw. Love Salida - we're just down the road in Westcliffe. 

Yes, it was Instant Book which we have since turned off because we get the worst guests from IB.

We can't cancel her reservation, she's arriving today with 11 other family members, some of which are coming from out of the state. I feel that would be too cruel.

I haven't been responding to any of their texts and I reminded her she's the single point of contact. 

I'm sure she's going to have a real struggle when she arrives and realizes it's self check-in with a digital keypad! Of course this was mentioned in the listing, house guide, and house rules. All of which she did not read!!!

Thanks for your opinion though! And Westcliffe is a gorgeous place! We love it over there!

@Brady---Shae0, I have also turned off IB because I agree, I had issues with communication with IBers, but my issues were zero communication ha! 

I might think about meeting them in person this time and going over everything with them, just to assure that they do indeed follow the rules and know what is what, since they didn't read.

Best of luck! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Brady---Shae0 ok, you don't want them to message you and you do wish they'd read, but you likely do want them to treat your place well. So, answer their questions and go ahead and tell them what's most important for them to know

and then later review the guest poorly for their communication style

you can also cut/paste all questions/answers into the chat thread so that the record still exists

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation, I would have messaged the guest back on Airbnb and asked her to share the guest book you provide with her guests so they will find any information they need relating to your place. @Brady---Shae0 

Say that you won't be able to answer her friend's individual texts,  but if her guests have any queries relating to your listing not covered in your guest book, if they route them via the guest she can share with you via airbnb messaging.

Then ignore the texts and keep all communications on airbnb. Good luck.

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

I've had a similar situation. I realized the bulk of the problem was with the couple who rented the space, and the lack of communication they had with the friends staying with them. They drove me a bit crazy though.