inquiry from third party

Janet79
Level 4
United Kingdom

inquiry from third party

I have had an enquiry from someone in Canada for a 2 week stay.  Their profile photo is a birthday cake, they have no feedback and have only been a member since august 2016.  They supplied no other information than the name Dee.  When I asked for more information and said that I would prefer to see a photograph of them, they sent me this message:

"No problem . I totally understand your enquiry . I am in Canada , my parents are visiting UK . My parents are residents of United Kingdom , my mom is undergoing a treatment in ....... ......... Just a follow ups with her doctor every year. I am trying to book this apartment for them for this period . Also until they are able to rent a house or buy a house in Gravesend if they like to stay there .
Wanted to give them a comfortable stay as much as I can.
We have used Airbnb quite a number of time in Northern America but this is the first time in UK so I was not sure that's why I did not put up my pic there."

I replied that I wasnt happy to take a booking through a third party and that I would prefer that her parents had their own account with propper photo and then apply to book with me.  This was their reply:

"This is their account, their credit card and they are staying. I just help them respond to their emails. I can help them put their pictures on their account."

Not sure where I stand on this, I am a fairly new host and I dont want to turn down business but am not happy with this request.  Am I over reacting or am I right to be vigilant about this.  Advice would be much appreciated.

14 Replies 14
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

So, if I understand, Dee is the name of one of the parents if it is their account. Just ask for full names, and ID on arrival to make sure it is all present and correct. Should they choose not to book, then fine.

The offspring is typing for them as they are not keen on computers maybe?

Hi Sadra, no Dee is the name of the son/daughter who is messaging on their behalf.  They have now uploaded a photo which is a big help but in other words its a kind of hybrid account different names/people/varifications. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Janet79 - your place is absolutely stunning! You are right to be very selective about your guests. If it were me, I would decline - unless she is able to get back to you within the 24 hour time frame with a proper photo, their names (not hers), having answered all questions to your satisfaction and having fully satisfied any other reservations you may have. Best of luck! - Karen

Thank you Karen, that sounds like excellent advice.  They are now pushing me for an answer but I am going to bed to sleep on it.  It could be naivety on their part but these irregularities sow little seeds of doubt and paranoia in my brain.  I also feel that propper profile photos should be a requirement on airbnb.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

At first I wasn't alarmed: they seem to be lots of brand new customers on Airbnb and a lot of them don't bother to fill out anything in their profile. I just hosted a young woman with her friend, same scenario, practically no info on her, but it worked out great, at least I could read where she had gone to school and she had two pictures of herself up.

But learning of the situation of supposedly booking for parents only when you inquired about the situation and asked for more details,  and then all those vague scenarios, possibly staying longer, medical treatment ?, no picture , it all makes me question who they are and what is going on. Personally, I would just decline them - asap!

Declining is not a cancellation, so no harm is done to your account : Peace of mind is worth something! I see no good in engaging into more and more possibly iffy scenarios with them and possibly getting sucked into it if they elaborate on the medical stuff. ( I doubt that is true..)

Not to worry, you will get plenty of guests in the future! You could always tell this person nicely that you declined but that you'd be happy to reconsider if they  have filled out their profile with more info, and then reapplied.  Chances are you will never hear from them again - and you saved yourself time and aggravation! 

I would also consider flagging their communication with you and submitting it to Airbnb.

Good luck, you are doing all the right things! May you get great renters for your next guests 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed reply, I really appreciate it.  You almost repeated word for word what I said to my husband about this when I read it.  My gut reaction was that they could be trouble.  I'm not a business airbnber, my apartment is part of my home so I feel I have the absolute right to be stringent about who I accept.  Many thanks guys, I will definately be taking your advice.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Odd they are either visiting UK or Resident. 

David

Yes quite, infact this message begs more questions than answers,  I decided to decline this one and feel I will sleep better tonight having done so.  Thanks for your input David.

We agree with your decision to decline. 

We did a 3rd party, (the mother for her child) and the mother funded the stay. The daughter was most excellent and departed clean and well. 

Looking back, this was a risk that ended on a positive note but we had to be careful with providing information that may not have been shared previously between mother and daughter...

Better to work directly with the guests on their own accounts.

...for a number of reasons.

Wise words Pat, thank you.

The profile must include the information of the parents - it should be them that have gone through the verification process.  If "Dee" is on the profile, Dee is verfied, not her parents, regardless of what picture she uploads.  If you do not want to book a guest without being fully verified (email, phone, interenet presence, etc) then this is problematic and is still a third-party booking regardless of who is paying.     

Thanks Alice and Jeff, this is exactly what I have been trying to convey to this person, you have put it all so succinctly.  I have decided to decline their booking and feel a great sense of relief having done so. 

I would not let them stay. When they tell you they are looking for an apartment theat is a red light. You may not be able to get them out of your home or apartment . Don't do they sound homeless.

Concetta0
Level 1
New York, NY

I would not let them stay. When they tell you they are looking for an apartment theat is a red light. You may not be able to get them out of your home or apartment . Don't do they sound homeless.