pricing control by airbnb

Janelle40
Level 1
Macmasters Beach, Australia

pricing control by airbnb

Hello fellow  hosts

I have a concern about the control that airbnb has with dictationg the nightly price. I understand the variabilty to be expected in the nightly rate at the time of booking when my choice is smart pricing for that night. Most of the time, I have smart pricing on, however at peek season I fix the price for the dates chosen. I have recently had the experience that unbeknowns to me,  the  fixed price was reverted back to smart pricing and therefore I lost a significant amount of money. My fixed price was  well above my base rate and the smart price airbnb put on for that christmas period. As I didnt check it at the time of booking, I only was aware of this change from airbnb until much latter. I had my place managed by someone else. I reported this and spoke to 2 different ladies at the help centre. They both reiterated that airbnb take no responsibility for what i believe was a glitch in their system. Nothing could be done. It was my word against theirs, and as they had no proof that I had fixed the price early in the year and i had no proof that i had either. They were unable to get the price changing history.

I am reaching out to the community to ask if this has happened to anyone else, what was your process and result?

kind regards

janelle (australian superhost)

8 Replies 8
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Janelle40. I can’t assist with smart pricing variations, or fixed prices reverting to Smart - as I never use it. I don’t use it as the Airbnb pricing suggestions for my city and area is quite unrealistic at times, and if I used it, I wouldn’t earn any money for the outlay. I get compared to rentals that are no5 comparable!

I choose to maintain full control, with a base price and a regular calendar check, where I will either reduce or increase accordingly. This way I feel much more satisfied, and only have myself to blame if I get it wrong. But one positive is I don’t get horrible financial surprises.......

Janelle40
Level 1

Hi Cathie Thanks so much for your feedback. I will be turning off the smart pricing from now on. Regards Janelle 

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Hi @Janelle40 - Yes, this happened to me MULTIPLE times over the 2 years I was a Superhost.  I complained about it the first time and Airbnb fixed it.  But, the subsequent times, they stated because I had on Smart Pricing that it would happen on occasion, even after I manually increased prices for high-demand times like events.  I got booked at $70/night on a huge event weekend in my area, when I had changed it to $200/night.  It was essentially the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me, and I have since put my listing on "snooze".  When I took off Smart Pricing, it asked me about 5 questions and essentially told me it was a bad idea to take off Smart Pricing because I wouldn't get as many bookings/viewings.  Annoying.

Janelle40
Level 1

Thanks so much for that Zoe

how did they fix it? 

Did they reimburse for your loss?

Who did you contact? Was it higher up than the help centre? 

Much appreciated

janelle

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Janelle40, why not take yourself off smart pricing and set your own rates? You know your market and your competition much better than an Airbnb algorithm. 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Janelle40. I can not imagine allowing any third-party to control my pricing. In reality, they don't really know my property, my personal touches, or my location at all. For me, I have a bottom line that i will not cross. I would prefer to leave the rooms empty than to pay more for utilities, food, and, well, my efforts than the income the room provides.

@Emilia42 is right. Only you know your market and costs.

Kimberly277
Level 2
Balmain East, Australia

Hi @Janelle40, I have had the same issue. Every time I change the pricing it changes back to their default price and I dont have Smart Pricing on! Nobody at the help centre has been able to help me and it is still happening. I am also an Australian Superhost and I am very frustrated!

Janelle40
Level 1

Hi Kimberley 

that is weird. I would have thought that the default setting is your minimum price that you set, when smart pricing is off??

my only suggested is to request ito speak to a manager. 

Good luck

janelle