pricing for a house versus private room?

pricing for a house versus private room?

Hi, I just published my listing Sunday evening and got two requests to book one private room in my house for 4 nights in early August. One party booked them after I answered a couple of questions. In my listing I state that the whole house might be available from time to time to rent (just ask!). Well, this person asked. I don't know how to price it. It would be 2 guests regardless of them staying in the private room or using the entire house. This would mean, however, that I would need to find alternative arrangements for myself and my two dogs (which was sort of the idea) for this time period. I would need to make this worth my while for the interruption in my life. But I'm unclear as to how to price my whole house versus just the room. The whole house includes 3 bedrooms, one dining room, one living room, one kitchen, one bath, one large 3-season porch, and a yard. 

4 Replies 4
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

As far as the price goes that's all on you, taking into account your out of pocket expenses. If you want to go that route I would create a separate listing for the whole place, priced accordingly, and then link the two calendars together. That way people will be able to book either and if the single room is rented it will automatically block the whole house calendar dates automatically to prevent overlaps. 

Thank you, Jim! At first, for some reason, I thought I couldn't create multiple listings for one account. But from what I'm reading, I see that seems to be the smartest (and also an allowable) route. So I'll remove my comment about just asking to rent the entire house from the private room listing. I'll price it out according to what I would need, and if folks book it, they'll book it. If not, no worries. Thanks again! 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Oh and the duplicate listing function is really helpful if you do. You might have to add a few extra photos and modify but easier than doing from scratch..

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Keep in mind if someone wants to book whole house for an extended period of time, they won't be able to if the single room is booked. I ran into this problem when I first started. I had 4 listings of the same place; master w/en suite, bedroom 1 , bedroom 2, and the whole house. I found people wanted to book the whole house, mostly, for an extended stay, only to be unable to do so because of a single room rental booked during that period. I finally just switched to the entire house only.