Use QR codes as a more sustainable way to host

Mauricio467
Host Advisory Board Member
Cancún, Mexico

Use QR codes as a more sustainable way to host

Our small contribution to a more sustainable stay could start with very simple and easy things, which in addition to saving paper is a way that guests find very novel.
It is not necessary to buy Solar Panels that represent a large investment for any of us, but we can take small actions to offer a totally environmentally friendly experience.
The use of QR Codes are more frequent wherever we go, it is more hygienic and innovative for many. You can create a QR code for your Guides, for the Welcome, even for a video. Everything that you could leave before with a paper note, you can make it electronic and believe it, guests appreciate it more.

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-10 a la(s) 4.19.23 p. m..png

Mauricio
13 Replies 13
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's a plausible idea, @Mauricio467, but so many of us prefer something to 'touch'. Many restaurant menus here [in London] went QR code early on in the pandemic but have since returned to 'normal' paper-based versions. Personally, I didn't enjoy the experience of staring/scrolling at/though a menu on my tiny screen.

The first page of my (sanitised) manual is how to get online (which I assume you'd need to use the QR code?). 

The phrase I'd use here is 'horses for courses'.

Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

@Gordon0 Of course, it is quite an issue, because precisely these types of actions are those that will have an impact on a sustainable way of hosting, after the pandemic most of my guests were young people between 18 and 24 years old, and they are the ones who adore and enjoy those changes. Mostly my guests come from the United States (NY, TX, MN, FL, CA), Argentina, recently Austria.

t is a matter of Sustainability and changes that will ultimately impact the life of a tree.

:   )

Mauricio
Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

I think the guests have the possibility in their reservations to know the name of the modem and the password.

Mauricio
Joseph1158
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

Hi Mauricio, I have been interested in exploring QR codes for instructional videos on how to operate some of our amenities at our historic homes. Do you have a program for creating the code you would recommend? 

Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

Hi @Joseph1158 ,

I can recommend QRSTUFF.COM, where in a very simple way you can create a QR Code for the link to a page, and there is the possibility of creating the link to a Video, a FB page, Twitter, or a PDF file . However, it has a cost, regularly they give you 50 free code scans and they charge you from the following scans.

Now if you have the ability to generate it through google sheets, it will be free and you can do it yourself, although it is a bit more complicated for some hosts.

I leave you the link of the video where they explain the whole process to generate it yourself. Just Scan it.

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-20 a la(s) 8.18.17 a. m..png

I hope the information is useful to you ¡

Mauricio

@Mauricio467  Thank you! That is incredibly helpful I really appreciate it! 

I am looking at developing this system for a touch free experience, but more importantly,  know your guests.  I have a mix of generations that would either embrace, or call for further assistance.  I would hate for a late check-in to be fumbling at the door at night trying to figure out HOW to scan the code.  I don't want a 3 star review for my check-in process. Yes, QR codes are "cool" but I haven't seen them embraced in large hotels, so there must be a reason? In fact, there was a great article in FSR magazine about how this might NOT be the way to go.  

Hospitality, and certainly AIRBNB is all about providing a fulfilling experience for the guest, not the provider.  While I might want to save the planet, the guest might just want the correct code for a door that opens. If great communication was provided beforehand, and my check-in instructions are noted clearly in an organized manner, that's a 5 star experience.  A QR code requires that you have your phone with you, and during a relaxing stay, to perhaps check-out for a bit, that's not a good thing either.  You're forced to stay tethered to your phone.  

A beautifully done, high-quality, well-organized, copied on fine paper guidebook is hands down much better.  It creates an experience with the guest, it's personal, and means you care.  Isn't that what we're trying to create in our spaces?  While I think a strategically placed code might be fun to say' "Hey, we're trying" it's not necessary.  Mixing old and new I think is always appreciated.   I think we succeed for our guests when WE provide unmatched great service that outshines our competition.  Especially in the world we are living in, personal is better. 

I would need to place the QR code either at the location of where it would be helpful, or in a logbook of all codes for each appliance.  Well, it looks like that would necessitate a "piece of paper", which in fact, could just list the directions.  So, my logo and QR code instructions will be on my business card and at my front door.  Perhaps just tighten up the availability of the paperless correspondence on the app for ease of use.  You can develop your own guidebook online.  I will be using our check-in process as a trial run for the QR code.   

Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

I totally agree that personal contact will always be the best. Seeing the smile of the guests when entering the space or even hearing a small wow¡.

The times in which we live where constant changes are the order of the day, the new is not born at all and the old remains as a melancholy that is hardly accepted to leave aside. It all depends on the generation of your guests.

Try to put a code and little by little you see the pros and cons.

Greetings

Mauricio
Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

Hi @Mauricio467 

I'm trying to figure out if this is a good idea for my listings or not...

I used to have prints with house rules, check-in and check-out instructions and then I simplified everything with a QR code.

My problem is that not a lot of guest scan the QR code and many rules are not being respected. I tried not to think that it's because of this change I made, but it's a really big difference before/after de QR code..

do you have any ideas on how to make guests scan it every time they check in?

Mike from West Palm
Andrea5344
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Like some, I'm attempting to go as paperless as practical. I've created a Welcome /House Rules letter that goes out to guests via email 48 hours before check-in. In it, I've added a link to my Guidebook. I also provide a paper copy of the letter at my cottage.  Since a link is impractical for the paper copy, I decided to imbed a QR code for the Guidebook into the letter. Unfortunately, while the QR code provides access to the guide, none of the links embedded in the guide work, defeating the purpose. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know of a workaround? TIA.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Mauricio467  and @ all,

I am all for paperless and I give my local information guide in PDF format by e mail as well as the Tourism Office informations. I guess a QR code could do, I just don't feel it yet.

I have many other sustainable practices for my listing and am currently building an application for Green Key Label.

Some are simple: (extract from my guide)

I save water and energy:

- I use biodegradable products for the maintenance and cleaning of premises and laundry, they offer

better air quality and less health risks.

I have fully equipped the house with LED lighting, presence detectors in the corridors, water pressure

limiters on the shower taps and bathtub.

I chose an electricity from the renewable sector.

I am attentive to the well-being of my clients:

- I supply biodegradable products (labeled or certified) of laundry and shower, dishes in refillable bottles.

- I make sure that dishwashing, shower, or laundry products are free of products that are hazardous to

you and the environment.

- I’ve banned bleach, which is irritating to the respiratory tract and toxic to aquatic organisms.

- All the interior spaces of the house are totally non-smoking.

- Home products (hygiene/ food) bear an eco-label or are local environmentally friendly products.

I limit and sort waste:

I limit waste:

- I provide tea towels to avoid the use of paper towels while, cloth table sets, and I can also provide towels

and tablecloths for meals on request.

- I provide a device to obtain flavored water or soft drinks from the drinking water of the dwelling and jugs

for water.

– I do not provide disposable dishes because all the washable dishes necessary for your stay are present in

sufficient quantity.

- I limit to the maximum the use of printing paper and brochures, I provide you documents in digital

version (pdf) and links to the websites of information.

I set up the sorting of all types of waste.

On site, you have various elements allowing the sorting of waste during the stay and I have set up a

display in the laundry to help you sort, in the doubt, you must throw in the household garbage:

- A red garbage can for household garbage, the garbage bags I provide must be discarded closed.

- A yellow trash can for recyclable waste : be careful paper towels are not yet recyclable and must be put

in household garbage.

- A compost for organic waste: it is located to the right of the garden behind the hedge of Thuyas to

accommodate  peels, organic waste and animal droppings.

In the village, containers at your disposal:

- The glass must be deposited by you in one of the containers of the village

- Textile: a worn garment or shoes to throw away? a container «

Voluntary Supply Point for Used Clothing

Textiles, Household Linen and Footwear (TLC) is at your disposal in front of the town hall.

By making a gesture of sorting towards the valorization of materials (metals, cardboard, paper, plastics)

you and I fight against the depletion of natural resources (raw materials, fossil fuels) and also limit the

destruction and fragmentation of ecosystems.

And more :

- The green spaces and plants are maintained without pesticides and products; I use exclusively elbow oil

and my legs!

- watering is reasoned and concerns only ornamental plants

- I give our old equipment/furniture locally to associations or people who need it

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

@Delphine348 , Awesome!, i Love all your practices❤️. The important thing here is that as Host we take actions that have an impact for a greener planet!!😁🌱🌏

Mauricio
Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

@Mauricio467 Thank you! Yes we are all responsible and I am always happy to share some of my habits. I am always happy to learn from other hosts as we all have ideas for sustainable tourism!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)