How do you communicate with your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you communicate with your guests?

Communication.png

Hello,

A guest checking in is an important moment, and also something that everyone likes to do differently. The first time the guest sees the accommodation and meets the host (if you are present), it is important to make a good first impression.

Guests may have many questions before and after booking, and good communication helps to make everything easier and more pleasant especially in these times. 

Whether you're an on-site or off-site host, good communication is key. Hosts have ensured that the experience remains personal for guests with some off-site hosts providing tasty snacks or lovely handwritten notes which sometimes can be difficult when managing your listing from a distance. Off-site hosting has at one point almost become the new norm due to restrictions! 

How do you communicate with your guests? What do you do to ensure a smooth check-in?

Let's see what tips we can come up with on this!

Stephanie 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

31 Replies 31

@Elaine701  I love how every host successfully meets their guests' needs in their own way, don't you?

This is the part where I make my first impression. In those initial ten seconds, the guest gets a precise idea of ​​who is in front of him.

If I interact with a student, I dress casual, if I meet a professional I dress more formal. I choose shoes carefully.

I catch his eye: the simplest way to create contact with him.

I smile. A cup of espresso is a cup of espresso everywhere, but a cup of espresso with a smile makes the difference.

I nod my head. I don't swing my legs.

I turn off the cell phone or the ringtone. I tell it. I make him understand that he is important and that I have put him at the centre of my mind.

I call him by his first name during the most important stages of the signing of the lease. I encourage him to do the same. We are not just anybody, we are Emily and Mark or Brian or Aaron.

I don't interrupt him while he's talking. Silent for a couple of seconds, I finally speak.

I only use present tense verbs. I have abolished the word "problem" and the conjunction "but" from my vocabulary.

I try to avoid criticizing. If I have to, I start with an appreciation. The criticisms cause resentment.

I take my leave of him. The last words are as important as the first ones. The last impression has the same power as the first one.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Stephanie 

I usually use the Airbnb messenger. Almost never use email.

Like @Elaine701 , I also use whatsapp when the guest likes it and I think it is useful. 

If the communication has to do with some issue that may involve Airbnb intervention, It is important to use Airbnb messenger.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@J-Renato0 

Agreed. I always use the Airbnb messenger for important things. 

I suppose it's different in different areas of the world, but here in Europe, everybody uses WhatsApp. It's sort of woven its way into the fabric of society.

We order goods & services from local businesses with it. Just one short message, and it's on it's way. We attend  group meet ups on WhatsApp. Our telecom provider support dept. Communications with certain government agencies. Healthcare, police, fire dept. Doctor. Veterinarian... Our accountant. Lawyer. ... It's just... so ubiquitous. 

So, from that perspective, I'd love to see Airbnb integrate it somehow. But for now, it does what we need it to. And then again, if Airbnb gets involved, it may cause more problems than it solves 🤨

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Elaine701  @Till-and-Jutta0 

Here is Brazil whatsapp is o popular as well. The use of whatsapp here is like in Europe, every company, shops, services, professional, everybody use it! Great form of communication.

Forgive an older person, but what is WhatsApp and why should I use something that is not recorded on the AirBnB platform?  I HATE that my guests may text me any time during the day or night when I provide an email medium and monitor AirBnB diligently.  

@Lorna170  I just happened to see that no one answered your question. I'm also a fossil and resisted using Whatapp for a long time, but now I love it. 

I don't use it to communicate with guests, though, or I haven't yet. 

It's a free app that allows you to msg., send photos, call, or video call anywhere in the world. It uses the same phone numbers that you already have for people. So I could send a photo of the map to my place to guests on Whatsapp instead of email.

I just had a video call with my 90 year old stepmom in the UK today.  It's great for communicating with people who it would cost long distance charges to call or msg, because it is free long distance to anywhere. 

I could see using it to call or text guests in foreign countries who weren't responding to Airbnb messages.

And in Latin America, everyone seems to use it. They don't have to pay for cell phone time or have a phone plan, because it operates outside that. All you need is an internet connection.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Oh, and email is a dying medium here. Still used, but far from mainstream. 

I have a lock-box for self-check in. But I make it clear a family member is on site in the other unit. When guests book I greet them and tell them I'm looking forward to the stay and will send the codes a few days before arrival. Then, when I send the codes, I let them know I love a half block away and am available if they need anything. They get the check-in and check-out instructions at that time. After they check-in I sometimes send a note hoping they have a great stay. Same with after they check-out.

It sounds like a lot but I do it based on how "chatty" the guest feels.  Some don't want any contact and that's fine but those are also not my best guest. Those usually are people looking for a hotel substitute and they tend to leave short reviews and nothing in the guest book. But if the apartment is left clean, I consider that part of hosting.

A little goes a long way. But allow for different comfort zones and personality types among guests.

I have a lock box, but I am struggling with one of my guests, I have sent numerous messages since they booked but they are just no responding has anyone else had this?  My accommodation is on a site which requires certain information to book the guest in.

On my Listing it shows no beds, how do i remedy this as following airbnb's instructions is confusing

Quinto22
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

My listing also showed no beds and not being able to put in the 2nd bedroom, I'm constantly trying to tweak it. It's still not where I want it to be. I also want to know why it takes so long to get a payout when the booking gets charged right away. I'm just starting out and learning all this and sometimes would like to make sure guest is happy so I when they have questions I like to go over the block my number! 

Quinto22
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

What happens when the guest is gone, and the place is not left as I expected? Extra cleaning needed? Are we able to do a walk threw before they leave especially when there are pets?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I stopped hosting during pandemic (will start again in another place in a year or so) but I always checked in guests in person, since I needed to show how things worked. Wood fire, heating system, secret door etc. Safety. Can't imagine a no contact check in. My place needed explaining. I'm setting my new place up so that it is more self explanatory. 

Hi everyone!

I have had a few guests that sometimes do not take a look at our welcome book or even take a look at our initial email that has the same information the welcome book has (rules, and everything else they will need for their stay at our home) My questions are, Should I have the rules displayed somewhere in the house? Some guests smoke outside of the property even with our "no smoking sign inside or outside of the house" how do hosts deal with that? and lastly, are hosts usually in the habit of asking the guests for each person's email address? 

Thank you so much!