Advise Needed-Towels (I know-weird topic)

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

Advise Needed-Towels (I know-weird topic)

When I started Airbnb-I read someplace that the advice was to do all white towels. I do have a black little wash clothe with "Make Up" monogrammed on it for female guests. Anyway, so lately over the past couple of months, I've had a lot of ruined white towels. Stains that are orange/brownish which honestly looks like blood or fecal matter.  I've sprayed on stain remover, then bleached, and still ruined.

The towels I buy are about $8 each, so when 1 out of 3 guests starts staining them (the big towels, not the wash clothes) it gets pricey. 

So....couple of questions/advice: 

1. Do you use white towels? If so, are you having this issue?

2. Is there a cheap place you're buying your towels?

3. Would you switch to a darker colored towel so that these stains aren't visible if they don't come out?

Would love to get some advice from some experienced hosts about this.

32 Replies 32
Marie6762
Level 9
Oakland, CA

I “furnished” my tiny guest half-bath around a Moroccan mirror years ago before I started hosting.  I looked far and wide for the 4 sets of towels that match the red in the mirror.  I’d say they’ve served almost 200 guests, and are still great (even slightly faded).  I also use the black “Makeup” towels as a precaution, though I’ve never had a stained towel.

@Marie6762  If it's that dark red, like in real oriental rugs, I know it's hard to find that color. It's a color I happen to love and wanted to make my living room curtains in it. Took a long time to find the fabric.

Kevin2172
Level 3
Oakland, CA

We use grey towels from Costco (don't remember the price). Same for sheets. White is my personal preference, but not for running a "lodging" business. Face it, people are pigs. They rub up against all your stuff and you need to be able to de-emphasize troublesome stains that won't come out in the wash. It's that or you have to buy a lot of white towels...