Airbnb Blatantly violating its own Content and Review policies

Answered!
Armaan5
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Airbnb Blatantly violating its own Content and Review policies

The issue is simple:

• My listing clearly states the property has queen-sized beds.
  • The guest left a 2 star review claiming that the beds are full sized and not queen sized.

Guest had an issue with me because I did not left them cancel the booking after they checked in. Their group had some people bail and they figured they could get a cheaper place so we got into it and I refused to cancel since I'm not bearing cost of their friends bailing. In return they made up issues during the stay to get free $200 from airbnb support and also left me a review that quite literally lies about the listing. 

My problem in all of this is only with Airbnb support. The outsourced Morons at airbnb support are telling me that they will not remove the review since it doesn't break their policy. Airbnb's Content Policy clearly says  "listings and profiles that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information." So I tell them either remove the review or remove my listing altogether since one of those is 'Fraudulent, false and deceptive'. They they simply close my case without a response. 

Why is airbnb hiring 'support' people who can't pass 5th grade english and are clearly unable to communicate with US hosts. In addition, these clueless dim wits are giving guests free money for no reason. AND there is no repurcussions for them for playing with livelihood of hosts whose life may literally depend on this revenue. My listing is rendered unbookable with a 3.5 star rating as this was only my 3rd booking. So there goes thousands of dollars.

I'm collecting emails of corporate executives and board of directors and will be sending them an email highlighting how these untrained and clearly uneducated people who can't follow clearly written Airbnb policies are allowed to play with the lives of host with no channel to escalate.

I apologize for being harsh here but I have been nothing but Polite, Professional and Patient throughout the process for the past week and I am finally venting because this process has been excruciatingly frustrating for me without any result.

Top Answer
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Armaan5 ,

Sorry to hear what happened. I noticed you had another post a few days ago about this. I wish you had consulted here immediately after the guest requested to cancel, as others could have shared the potential consequences. Did you know that even if the guest cancels the stay and you approve a full refund, both the guest and host can still leave a review for each other?

Let’s focus on constructive solutions. I’m not sure that writing emails to board members will help, especially if it’s adding more stress.

I recommend reaching out to customer service again. Many hosts here have mentioned that persistence can eventually lead to a positive outcome. Personally, I wouldn’t rely on it too much, but good luck with that. I know it’s challenging, but try to remain professional and unemotional in your communication with customer service, as anything else could make things worse.

Another option to consider, but please research it thoroughly to do it correctly, is starting fresh. You could first remove the old listing, rewrite the description, come up with a new title (!!), take new photos (I can’t see your listing since you’re using your guest profile) and start with a new listing. I wouldn’t recommend changing your profile—the reviews will always stay on your profile but won’t be on the new listing. Please don’t take my advice; read through the community threads about how to do this properly, research Airbnb help articles, and maybe even contact Airbnb customer service to ensure you’re doing it right. When talking to customer service about this, there’s no need to explain the background—just stick to what needs to be done.

I don’t take chances hoping a bad review will be removed. I know not everyone here agrees with me, and this topic can bring emotional responses, but in my experience, when a guest requests a refund and to cancel the reservation, I offer a full refund—even after one night—to get them to leave as soon as possible. This reduces the risk of property damage and a bad review on my listing. I’ve had to use this approach twice, and both times it worked well. One guest even gave me a 5-star review for my cooperation and understanding 😇

Also, if you accept Instant Booking, it might be worth exploring other platforms, as the dynamics may work better for you there. If you don’t use Instant Booking, Airbnb is still the best option, in my opinion.

I hope something here helps spark some ideas and gets you back on track with hosting.

View Top Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Armaan5 

Well, you just suffered the consequences of ignoring that reality. 

Good luck with that. 

@Elaine701 Thanks - I'd rather suffer the consequences of fighting for the right thing rather than passively accepting whatever happens to me. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Armaan5 

It's great that you have the time to waste on something that you cannot control. 

Unfortunately, I don't, and have to deal with reality rather than something I can't fix.

For me, it's working so far. You ought to try it. 

Good, take your valuable time to another thread because you have nothing of value to offer here.

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

I would take photos of a measuring tape on each bed, providing proof the review is false. Address the exact information that the review states and keep calling to get results. Best wishes~

Thanks @Cheri354 Planning to continue calling them everyday this week with the proof you mentioned above. 

It is hard to show the support staff pictures over a phone call, but perhaps giving them the make and model of the bed would suffice. Which is what I did previously IIRC. 

Anyways, good luck!

Having been on the receiving end of slanderous reviews, I know how it can feel. 

@Armaan5 

@Zheng49 Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have original invoice that I have sent to airbnb including the latest pictures with measurement tapes and even had myself on the bed for scale lol. I wish airbnb had any motivation to enforce their own policies 😞