Airbnb Needs to Do More to Protect It's Guests

Airbnb Needs to Do More to Protect It's Guests

I have had a terrible week and a half with Airbnb.

For the first location I booked, it turned out that the host lied about the location, address, his name, and used someone else's profile picture. Beyond that, the place was disgusting. A bed strategically framed in the pictures so that you can't see it's just a stained and beaten up mattress with only a small comforter over it, with no sheets. A shower that was constantly leaking water, with a mat outside of it that upon stepping on, brown water would gush out of.

Of course, I got my refund and with the help of Airbnb found a new space...

Which is also a scam.

The host admitted to using pictures of a different location in their listing (the living room was supposed to have a couch, TV, etc. - instead it just had three folding chairs). They lied about there being parking (I received a ticket for the first spot they told me to park at - for the second, it only lasted one night, and then they told me that the building manager told them people aren't allowed to park there). And their Wi-Fi doesn't work.

Airbnb is offering up another refund, and I am no steps closer to actually finding somewhere to stay, meanwhile customer service just keeps recommending me more and more expensive alternative locations.

Airbnb needs to fix this and actually start verifying their hosts/locations.

2 Replies 2
Gina2084
Level 2
Black Diamond, WA

Report airbnb to the “better business bureau” this is absolutely unacceptable and you should be completely refunded for your stays, the parking ticket, and for a free stay from airbnb. 

good luck!

gina

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Curious, what was the review history of this place?

Such places tend not to last long on Airbnb. It is plausible that the same way they fooled you, also did so to Airbnb. Like any other booking agency they do not have a home inspector program to check every one of their 4,000,000 places they offer. They could only clean their inventory through your type of honest review.