Airbnb cancelling reservations

Ursula101
Level 2
Beatenberg, Switzerland

Airbnb cancelling reservations

In the last two weeks we have have a total of 3 bookings made by guests that were cancelled by AIRBNB with the below email:

"We closely monitor all bookings and user interactions on Airbnb.  We noticed that the booking xxxzzzxxx does not appear to be lawful.  As a result, we cancelled the booking and refunded the money.  If you feel this was a mistake, please let us know.  Otherwise we hope for your understanding - we do this to maintain the integrity of the marketplace.  Many greetings, Your Airbnb team"

The first two were cancelled 6/7 days after receiving the reservation and both reservations were for dates 3 weeks in advance.  The most recent reservation that was cancelled today was for a reservation starting tomorrow for 4 nights.  The reservation was made 5 days ago.

A friend of ours in our area who also hosts on Airbnb received the same email and cancellation.  She had contact with the guests via another messaging service and the guests came and stayed.

When contacting Airbnb as to WHY their reservation was cancelled, she received the reply that it was a "legal" issue and that no further details could be given.

As a host, if I cancel a reservation for a guest, I am fined, lose super-host status, etc.  However, Airbnb can simply cancel any reservation that they wish  while completely disregarding the host's cancellation policy, offering absolutely no recourse to the host for lost revenue (even for last minute bookings) and offer no explanation other than the above email asking for OUR understanding????

Are any of our future reservations reliable??  Is this a charge-back issue?  Rather than fight a charge-back, simply cancel on the host?  Is this a scam where guests are booking using stolen cards?  As a host, I feel that some answers are needed in order to gain my "UNDERSTANDING".

21 Replies 21
Jennifer2585
Level 1
Plant City, FL

SO, I AM A CUSTOMER OF AIR BNB AND RECEIVED THIS EMAIL AND HAVE BEEN LOCKED OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AND CANNOT GET ANY REPRESENTATIVE OF AIR BNB ON THE PHONE. CURRENTLY BEEN ON HOLD FOR 15 MINUTES BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME IN SAID EMAIL TO CONTACT THEM IF THIS WAS AN ERROR. WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Sharon1174
Level 2
Wakefield, Canada

I have had a similar situation. A guest booked 33 nights a month and a half prior. On thé day of arrival, I rechecked her booking and it all of a sudden disappeared saying that Airbnb cancelled it. They have not given me any king of explanation nor compensation for the 2400$ loss. This has been very frustrating and unprofessional! 

Inexplainable and infuriating!

Did anything ever come of it?

Martha912
Level 1
Mexico City, Mexico

Airbnb cancelled my reservation and they say it was me!!! I’m in contact  with the host and explained the situation. They will hold the place for me but obviously I’m being penalized  by Airbnb. Has anyone heard of this before? Who keeps the penalización money? I’m arriving to the rental anyway and will pay the owner but the question is where does the not refunded money goes to…

Can I ask how you get it resolved as our Airbnb was cancel by the system and host is not replying if he is holding our reservation. I am also penalize for it as our trip is next Tuesday. 

Please post an update!

Danielle563
Level 2
Canton, GA

OMG! I feel like I am in the Airbnb Twilight Zone!!

This just happened to my guest and me last night .. 5hrs after they checked in and were settled. I have been escalating with Airbnb to no avail. What and how do we bring light to this situation? I have everything documented and would love to join other Superhosts and Hosts who have had this experience to bring it to an end!

For reference: I have been a 4.93 star SuperHost for 6yrs, and the guest was verified on Platform with one excellent review.