Airbnb isn't refunding service fees during the COVID-19 shelter in place

Steve590
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Airbnb isn't refunding service fees during the COVID-19 shelter in place

I'm a Superhost and I had booked a room for April 9th-14th in New York City.

On March 13th Governor Cuomo said, "My guess is in the state, we already have thousands of cases,".

By March 13th Broadway had canceled all shows and so I canceled my reservation with Airbnb.

They gave me all the money that goes to the host back but refuse to refund the $69 in service fees.

Their excuse is that I canceled too early. 

To be clear, Airbnb forced the host to give a full refund and then refused to refund their service fees. 

I have asked Airbnb to explain to me in detail with dates why my reservation does not qualify for a full refund of Airbnb service fee?

I have not heard back.

Here is Airbnb's response to my request for a refund of service fees:

Hello Steve
We know how disruptive something like the COVID-19 can be and we understand how uncertain you must feel. Our extenuating circumstances policy covers our hosts and guests with eligible reservations who are being impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Unfortunately, your reservation is not eligible and does not qualify for a full refund but it depend on the host which in your case refunded you in full outside of the cancellation policy.
The reservation has been cancelled to early and that is the reason why airbnb doesnt refund it.

3 Replies 3
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Steve590  Whoever you spoke to at Airbnb got that wrong.  Go back to them and ask to speak with a supervisor.  You should get refunded the service fee or have the other option of a credit voucher for the service fee against future bookings.  But it should be your choice.

The person I'm talking with has identified themself as a supervisor.

I have asked and reasked and reasked and reasked.

I'm definitely not done trying.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Steve590

I'm seeing dozens of different cancellation scenarios every single day and I can tell you now, Airbnb is pulling every sneaky trick in the book to slither out of paying hosts their 12.5%, and to hang onto their service charges, even in situations where the guests' cancellations fall 100% within the COVID/EC policy dates.'

On the other hand, I've also seen countless cases where guests have been fully refunded, when they haven't qualified under the COVID/EC policy (or even the regular EC policy). So if you have the time and the fortitude to keep battling it out with them, you'll probably win out in the end!