Airbnb listing Unsafe & they refuse to be held accountable

Answered!

Airbnb listing Unsafe & they refuse to be held accountable

I attempted to rent a  home through Airbnb for our spring break on Anna Maria Island. I informed the owner and Airbnb of the safety violations and supplied them both with a copy of the local building code showing them the safety violation. Yet, neither Airbnb or the owner cared about the safety of its guests. They are content with renting unsafe homes and have no intention of changing.

The only way I was able to get the owner to change was by calling the local building department and the fire Marshall.  We were told that had to stayed in this home, we could have died instantly in a fire or been extremely hurt from the unsafe environment. 

However, Airbnb, does NOT want to implement safety measures to see that hosts do not rent unsafe homes. Nor do they want to refund me my money for refusing to stay in an unsafe home. Both are unethical. I have provided them with all of the support and begged reimbursement for the mess and they refuse. Our family is out over $6,000 and they simply do not care. It’s very sad that people are continuing to place their trust and safety in this company. We have used them before and everything was great. However, in this case, they placed us in an Extremely unsafe condition, and because we had to move, our family of 11 was homeless and out a lot of money to find a safe place to stay. Airbnb should be held accountable.

**[Identifiable listing name removed from title in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post listing information unless posted by a listing owner]

Top Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

When you say you “attempted to rent a home”, did you actually rent the home?

What were the “safety violations” you found? You said “The only way I was able to get the owner to change…” - so what do you mean by that? Did the owner correct the safety condition you found? I assume not, since you moved. So what did the owner change?

We are not the Airbnb Safety Team, but for discussion purposes, it would be nice if you could provide more clarification on these points.

View Top Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

When you say you “attempted to rent a home”, did you actually rent the home?

What were the “safety violations” you found? You said “The only way I was able to get the owner to change…” - so what do you mean by that? Did the owner correct the safety condition you found? I assume not, since you moved. So what did the owner change?

We are not the Airbnb Safety Team, but for discussion purposes, it would be nice if you could provide more clarification on these points.

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Chastity11 

Sorry this happened to you...

As @Pat271 said, Trust and Safety are the only appropriate part of the platform  to call on this. 

In the end, local government is responsible for licensing, permitting and inspecting STR businesses. Your call to the local building inspection and fire marshal were also appropriate. 

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Chastity11 

Sorry this happened to you...

As @Pat271 said, it would seem that Trust and Safety are the appropriate part of the platform to ask to look into this listing. 

In the end, local government is responsible for licensing, permitting and inspecting STR businesses, so imho, your call to the local building inspection and fire marshal seem to be also appropriate actions. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have the same basic question as @Pat271 below: you are attempting to rent a place (though already paid $6,000 that is beyond an 'attempt'). But now you are compelled to embark into a crusade to make sure the host corrects certain safety violations that you can detect of a place you haven't even been to, to the extend of calling the local building department and fire Marshall. But  no one seems to care. So now your main objective is to cancel the reservation. 🙄

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Fred13 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Pat271 Perhaps the review from @Chastity11 's host adds something to the discussion

Guests showed up hours before check in time, entered and unpacked. We said the home was not ready. Guest responded “Don’t mind us, just go about your business” and let kids be in the way while in the midst of cleaning. They spent 2 days using home without any complaints. Guest did not report the real total of her group upon booking. We sent an alteration request to cover the added guests. She responded with “This has nothing to do with number of guests. We need a refund and a move by Airbnb. This property needs condemned. I am going to call the city if you we cannot reach resolution.” Guest flooded upper bath & water collapsed the ceiling. They removed smoke detectors and fire extinguisher. To protect home from further damage and liability from their actions, we agreed to cancel and refund under the condition they immediately vacate the home. After agreeing and being refunded however, they attempted to remain another night for free. Before leaving they dumped sand all over the home

The host in question (Renee & Floyd) have 172 reviews over 5 years, consistently solid all along the way and always with an integrity to be dead honest about the plus and minuses of their place.

Conversely the poster above has exactly 1 (from 2 years ago, appears twice for some strange reason) besides this fantastic story. Why this mean-spirited review of this fine couple is still even there defies logic and fair play on Airbnb's part. They have to make better decisions than this.

/out of this thread, is not good for my blood pressure.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks for the research. It’s amazing how much reality can deviate from what is presented.😞

It looks like @Chastity11 's profile has been disappeared.......

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thank you so much  for your research...what a difference it makes to have a clearer picture. 

Just trying for a free stay.. 

Robert7429
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Sounds like Someone trying to get a free stay.