Airbnb’s biggest change in a decade killed 10 years of our work. What about you?

Answered!
BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

Airbnb’s biggest change in a decade killed 10 years of our work. What about you?

In three weeks we will celebrate 8 years of hosting with Airbnb. While we survived the Covid crisis, Airbnb is now destroying us all with their changes.

We are 30+ consecutive time Superhosts, who believed in Airbnb so much we quit our jobs and dedicated our lives to full time hosting, so it is insulting to read the founder proudly calling the actions causing our demise "the biggest changes in a decade…”

We’ve spent weeks trying to understand why our bookings this spring and summer are so incredibly low, from +80% booked capacity to 0%, and we've found several causes. The first is a malfunctioning pricing tool. Once we offer a discounted rate, if we later try to offer a larger discount, the system is calculating our base rate off of the first discounted rate, rather than our actual base rate. And if we don’t use the larger rate, we don’t qualify for the perks.

Secondly, de-prioritizing the names of the listings and emphasizing their automated titles is misleading. For instance, our Magic Tipi Retreat, which is high-end glamping, is now listed as "Tent in Park Hills", the same as our rustic Famous Home of Hammping, giving potential guests the wrong perception. For years we’ve been nurturing the concept of high end hosting, and they’ve now pigeonholed us as a campsite.

Thirdly, the category "Tipi" has been removed from search & listing options in the Special Stays section. Oddly there is now space for everything like Cycladic homes, kezhans, ryokans, minsus, truli, OMG!, riads and dammusos, but seemingly no room for tipis. They are not listed under camping either. So where do people go to find a tipi? Seems Native Americans are once again getting the short end of the stick.

Fourth is the change listing the number of beds in search results. Our Tipi now shows as having “4-beds” rather than accommodating 6 people. This may seem like a small detail, but you understand the implications. How do guests know if 4 beds hold 4 people or 6? The same problem with our Peaceful Treetop Cottage, where they only show “1-bed”, but we can accommodate 4 guests (we have portable mattresses).

To paint a clear picture of how their “big changes” have degraded our ability to host, here are our statistics for the number of nights booked in June since we started. These show Airbnb’s revisions have dropped us to levels at or lower than our first year of hosting.

Tipi: 2022-6, 2021-16, 2020-26, 2019-28, 2018-23, 2017-24
Cottage: 2022-14, 2021-22, 2020-24, 2019-24, 2018-27, 2017-26, 2016-23, 2015-14
Hammping: 2022-0, 2021-2, 2020-12, 2019-17, 2018-9, 2017-14, 2016-7

To put everything in perspective, and to preempt Airbnb’s claim that our prices are too high, here are some statistics for our listings. In the last year the Value Rating on one of our properties has risen for 9.2%, another for 4.8% and the third for 6.7%. In the same period, our Overall Rating on two listings is 100%, and on the third is 98.7%. And we monitor this ourselves. Our properties also have over 1,200 reviews.

Is anyone actually benefiting from these changes? Well, according to SEC data, in the last three months, while the stock lost nearly ½ its value, Joseph Gebbia (Chairman, Director and Ten Percent Owner) sold over $267,000,000 in Airbnb stock, CTO Aristotle Balogh sold $3,456,000, CFO Dave Stephenson sold $9,485,000, Director Jeffry Jordan sold $2,240,000 and Director Belinda Johnson sold $11,944,000 for a total of about $294,000,000 in stock.

Rats leaving a sinking ship?

Shall we?

1 Best Answer
Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I may start a new thread for this question but just hoping to get this same group to comment. Did you all see the earnings call reports yesterday? Best quarter ever? Seems really weird for the many hosts I saw posting that their bookings had fallen off a cliff.

@Huma0 @David8879 @Kyle325 @Wende2 

I have been wondering who was staying quiet having their best quarter of their hosting lives... but then I did notice the stat they gave out saying during this amazing quarter more than 50% of stays are 7+ days. That does not sound normal. This sounds like a whole different business. Not the real vacation rental business I have known for the last 11 years.

Also, so many references to new hosts. I never would have a problem with that except it has really seemed lately like getting new hosts is the core focus and old tried and true hosts with great properties are not seen as important. Here is a transcript, let me know if you need me to point out the many references to the new hosts plan.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2022/08/02/airbnb-inc-abnb-q2-2022-earnings-call-tran...

What do you all think about all of this? 

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

@Huma0  I  gave up.  We're going to Italy in November and I looked for some time at Rome Airbnbs.  But, it was a pain, if I used too many filters then nothing came up which I know is not correct.  I was also totally paranoid that not knowing Italian I would inadvertenty book something that was not actually in Rome, since I know that Airbnb now displays all kinds of wildly inappropriate locations even for a location search.  So, we will book a plain old hotel on Expedia, at least for the Rome dates.  While I suspect that most people will book whatever Airbnb shows them, whether it is complete or accurate or not, I can't imagine I am alone as a discerning traveler who just isn't satisfied  or trusting in what is shown anymore.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

I had a Superhost voucher to use and the deadline was nearing. If it wasn't for that, I am 100% sure I would have also given up in frustration and found something elsewhere. 

I haven't been an Airbnb guest many times, but whenever I did book something in the past, it was so easy to find what I was looking for. The last time, it took me minutes! 

This time, I made several attempts on different days, gave up and got on with the rest of my day. I eventually booked something the night before the voucher was expiring, but it was a painful process.

Bernadette413
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I am a new host since May. My last bookings occurred in July. Nothing new has booked this month. we were slammed the first month. I noticed that if I didn't log in with my listing link it did not show up on the map. A number of other folks also did not show up on the map and I know they have availability. 

We've had a few gems in our guests but mostly we've had really slovenly or overly demanding guests. I've had my property and listing reviewed by 3 other hosts to help me improve. The 2 complaints we had were related to misrepresentation, specifically in price. A guest said we charged her too much. no matter how I tried to explain the fees were related to airbnb price adjustments. Then airbnb told her that I had charged her too much. I don't even understand how this is possible. I'm not tech savvy enough for such an endeavor.

We joined as hosts because we always enjoyed meeting the hosts in our stays around the world. Everyone was always gracious. Until reading this thread I wondered if all hosts had been enduring this dark side of unpleasant guests. Our last few stays and recent guests have been incredibly transactional. This is not why we joined.

I have dealt first hand with the cancellation issue when the city power went out and I helped a guest relocate. The airbnb representative made a foreboding comment that I should not make a habit of cancellations. And I was helping the guest with her request!

So I guess I'll keep our remaining bookings but we're considering other options.

@Bernadette413 I am so disheartened to hear how even a new host has seen things go. I am even more concerned that "pricing" itself could be considered "misrepresentation" when the price is shown to the guest before they click to accept and pay that price.... if the agents sided with the guest and claimed you charged incorrectly did you end up losing any money? Or did you just get a bad review asserting you were dishonest based on all that? So sorry either way

Arthur437
Level 2
New York, NY

Do you have a direct booking site and your own guest database? I would list on multiple OTAs and establish 1:1 guest relationships to build your own business.