Automating smart lock codes

Wade82
Level 2
Cameron Park, CA

Automating smart lock codes

Hello community center! I am trying to figure out how to simplify the guest check in process. I have a Yale Assure Z wave in, smart lock, and I’m trying to figure out how I can automatically send guess codes when they book - ideally, the last four digits of their phone number. Right now, I have it connected with a ring hub, which allows me to set codes manually. It’s not convenient because only one person can be an owner so my property manager can’t set codes.

I’m looking for an app or third-party software integration or possibly getting a new smart lock that will allow for a seamless check in process.

I spoke with someone from RemoteLock, the software seemed interesting, but I couldn’t find any reviews from other hosts.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as my property is currently sitting empty while I figure this all out.

8 Replies 8
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Wade82 ,

How are you doing?

Were you able to explore more options for smart locks?

We would love to hear more if you have any smart locks suggestions to share with other Hosts!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Not yet, but I’m really hopeful to find a solution. It feels like the Yale smart lock I have should work, but so far I can’t figure out how to allow my property manager to give out access codes. Have you had any luck? Ever worked with third party software that could possibly be a solution?!?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Wade82 ,

I found a similar thread (which is an old thread) but thought you could use or go through some suggestions discussed by different Hosts: here and here.

You can also search the Community Center using the ''Smart locks'' keyword and you will see many existing discussions and suggestions related to different products.

Bhumika_0-1679600701429.png

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

FWIW I have the same problem. Yale and Ring Protect Pro integrate well. But without giving out my master Ring password the property manager can’t set lock codes. 

FWIW I have the same problem. Yale and Ring Protect Pro integrate well. But without giving out my master Ring password the property manager can’t set lock codes.  **

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Hi @Wade82 

I am familiar with the Yale Assure Smart Lock and it can integrate automatically with Airbnb right now with Airbnb (the only smart lock on the market that could up until the announcement about smart lock integration in the Winter Release).

https://shopyalehome.com/pages/airbnb

You go to "Works With" on the Yale App and select Airbnb to setup. However, it will only generate random codes (you don't get to choose the code) and sends an automated message to the guest via Airbnb messaging with the code when they book.

Yale Assure Smart Lock.png

Below is an example of the message that is sent to guests. Many Hosts don't like this message as it is too long, so they send their own message or include the door code generated in their check-in message.

Yale Lock Msg 2.JPG

The new Airbnb 2023 Winter Release says Airbnb will have automatic integration with several smart locks soon (Yale, Schlage, August in US & Canada). So you can also use that to generate codes automatically. Again, they are random codes; you don't get to choose them.

There are several 3rd party vendors (I have heard RemoteLock mentioned alot) that can do this as well, but I haven't used them but other Hosts have and seem happy with them. I heard they increase their prices though.

Ricardo1958
Level 2
Edmond, OK

Check out this app. They are offering 30 days free trial. 
https://www.usekio.com/

@Ricardo1958 how has your experience been with Kio? Is it reliable? Does it send a message to the guest automatically? Can you customize the message?