Better guest experience

Answered!
Johnson48
Level 1
Hoffman Estates, IL

Better guest experience

I have booked Thru Airbnb for a Saturday stay in Saint Louis. The total came to $250. On Thursday night I was tested  Covid positive and unable to travel. I have contacted the host and was not willing to change for another date. He was willing to refund only $100. I lost $150 due to circumstances beyond my control. Airbnb should have some protection clause with their hosts to be fair for their guests in case of unforeseen events beyond guests control. Very poor customer service. If I booked with a hotel instead, I wouldn’t have lost a penny. I don’t feel comfortable using Airbnb for my future vacation needs.

1 Best Answer
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

So sorry to hear that, @Johnson48 . Hope that you recovered well.

Airbnb strongly suggests buying travel insurance. In some countries you even have the option to add it at the end of the booking process, see https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3231

According to https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701 Covid is no longer regarded as extenuating circumstance. So it’s your personal responsibility to choose an accommodation with a cancellation policy fitting your needs.

My last hotel had a strict cancellation policy indeed. Means: If I would not be able to travel (virus disease, broken leg, or missed flight), it’s my own responsibility – and I was happy to have my travel insurance covering this. It’s not the host’s responsibility.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

So sorry to hear that, @Johnson48 . Hope that you recovered well.

Airbnb strongly suggests buying travel insurance. In some countries you even have the option to add it at the end of the booking process, see https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3231

According to https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701 Covid is no longer regarded as extenuating circumstance. So it’s your personal responsibility to choose an accommodation with a cancellation policy fitting your needs.

My last hotel had a strict cancellation policy indeed. Means: If I would not be able to travel (virus disease, broken leg, or missed flight), it’s my own responsibility – and I was happy to have my travel insurance covering this. It’s not the host’s responsibility.

So sorry for your experience. But you should know hosts got hit hard by Airbnb allowing Covid cancellations without penalty in the early days of the pandemic. Now that there are vaccines and precautions that is no longer the case. And the site makes that clear.

If you booked a space most hosts will refund you if they are able to find new guests for those days. But that can’t happen until you cancel on your end.

We aren’t hotels with surplus inventory. When you book a reservation that means someone else couldn’t. 😞

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

This is what travel insurance is for @Johnson48 . Most hotels also charge for no-shows when it's close to arrival. Hosts are not insurance companies. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry but if you want cover for unexpected circumstances you take out travel insurance. @Johnson48 

Many travel companies whether airlines, hotels or tour operators have cancellation fees when you cancel.

a hotel that I have booked for next month has cancellation fees if I cancel last minute like you are doing. 

it's not poor customer service for the host to uphold the cancellation policy that you booked under.

why do you feel the host should be out of pocket because you don't have travel insurance? 

I always take travel insurance when I fly especially when connecting flights or multiple days are involved. As this booking  was only for one day and 4 hour drive distance from home, it never came to

my mind that I need travel insurance. I learned my lesson. I am not blaming the host. Airbnb should issue me a voucher for the amount of money they received. That is what I meant poor customer service 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Johnson48 

Airbnb used to do that, for quite a while, when the pandemic started. However, bear in mind that:

1. Even when they issued a voucher, the host never got paid, so it was actually the host who was out of pocket and that's not fair.

2. Enough time had passed that guests should be aware that COVID is a factor in travel now and cover themselves for it, not expect it to be treated as some kind of extenuating circumstance anymore.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

I feel the host was more than generous—$100 refund for a Saturday night; and at this late date, he won’t be able to get another booking.