Block a Former Guest

Answered!
Jennifer3640
Level 3
Phoenix, AZ

Block a Former Guest

Hello,

How can I block a former guest?  For example, if someone does not indicate they're bringing a pet, brings the pet anyway, doesn't pay the pet fee despite being requested to, how can I not receive stay requests in the future from this person?

Airbnb attempted to call the person who never responded to the phone calls and messages. I had photos of the dog on video, but that didn't matter to Airbnb.  

So ..... I'd like to keep him from booking again.

This function - Reporting and blocking - Airbnb Help Center - does not work for this issue.

Thank you in advance!

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Jennifer3640  From what I remember, you're correct. The blocking feature (for messages) takes you to a screen where the only thing you can do is report a message for being inappropriate in some way- like threatening or obscene or some other option that doesn't match the situation. I've heard that if you block through messages, the person can't contact you again.

I've had to use the block feature and choose one of the options that doesn't match the situation to do that. I felt bad,  but AirBnB didn't give me the option to explain the actual problem, so I did it anyway. Not my fault. 

Also, I hope you checked the "would not host again" option when you reviewed this guest. That is supposed to block a specific guest from booking again. 

If you have instant Book on, this is a bigger problem. If I were you, I'd do as suggested above, and then also make a note in the reservation notes about this guest. That way, if they try to book again (if they're able??), you'll have the info at your fingertips, and could reach out to customer service. 

I highly doubt that this person will try to book again knowing there were problems, so I wouldn't worry to much. Also, if you said you wouldn't host again, and you block them via messages, the issue may be moot. I do hope you left an accurate review for this person. That's the best way to warn other hosts and to eventually get them kicked off the platform. 

Good luck, Kia

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Jennifer3640, I am sorry to hear that you went through this situation with the guest.

While other members of our Community come across your post and share their advice, here are some conversations where our Hosts have shared their insights about this topic: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=f...

I would also suggest contacting the Airbnb Support Team again to ask for their advice on this situation.

All the best.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Jennifer3640  From what I remember, you're correct. The blocking feature (for messages) takes you to a screen where the only thing you can do is report a message for being inappropriate in some way- like threatening or obscene or some other option that doesn't match the situation. I've heard that if you block through messages, the person can't contact you again.

I've had to use the block feature and choose one of the options that doesn't match the situation to do that. I felt bad,  but AirBnB didn't give me the option to explain the actual problem, so I did it anyway. Not my fault. 

Also, I hope you checked the "would not host again" option when you reviewed this guest. That is supposed to block a specific guest from booking again. 

If you have instant Book on, this is a bigger problem. If I were you, I'd do as suggested above, and then also make a note in the reservation notes about this guest. That way, if they try to book again (if they're able??), you'll have the info at your fingertips, and could reach out to customer service. 

I highly doubt that this person will try to book again knowing there were problems, so I wouldn't worry to much. Also, if you said you wouldn't host again, and you block them via messages, the issue may be moot. I do hope you left an accurate review for this person. That's the best way to warn other hosts and to eventually get them kicked off the platform. 

Good luck, Kia

@Kia272 

THANK YOU for this tip. I’ve been stressing about this family wanting to possibly rebook next year.  I do NOT want to host them ever again. Their 1st Airbnb stay and they were just terrible. Too many issues to get into.  I was struggling with an excuse to decline them next year.  This resolves that issue.  So grateful!  Thank you. 

Also, I checked before and determined that the “would not host again” does NOT block them in the future. 

@Willene1 You're very welcome! Hopefully only good guests are in your future.