Can I block someone who persists in making inquiries?

Answered!
Liz5186
Level 2
Fitchburg, WI

Can I block someone who persists in making inquiries?

This person keeps asking things that are given in the listing. Her first query:
   "is thisplace allowedparties"

Yes, I'm sure that the eloquence and clarity of this prose is bringing you close to tears. Nevertheless, my house rules clearly state "NO PARTIES". I declined  with the reason that I couldn't meet the needs of this guest and replied:
"Hi ****! Thank you so much for considering my place. You asked about parties, and I don't allow parties at my listing. I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide that environment for your stay and hope you find the perfect place for your celebration. Liz"

Today I received another booking inquiry from her with:
 "hi is other peoplein thehouse or is just me"

Yet again, my listing clearly states that I live in the home, it's a private room that's offered. I declined this time saying that I felt uncomfortable with the listing. I replied:

"Other people and 3 large dogs. You previously inquired about parties, and I let you know that parties are not allowed in my home. You've now inquired about if you're the only person in the house. All of these questions are answered in the basic listing information. Thanks again for considering my place, but this doesn't seem like a suitable match."

With this person's lack of reading the listing, poor communication, and asking about parties, I feel extremely uncomfortable and don't want her here.  Is there some way I can block her from making further inquiries?

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liz5186 

A lot of hosts get confused about this at first. It's not like Airbnb spell it out for you when you start hosting. You have to search out this info an it's not always easy to find as it seems usually to be split across various help articles when you do an online search. That is why this CC is such an invaluable place to come for advice. I have learnt so much here!

So, to break it down:

Inquiry/enquiry: You need to respond within 24 hours to maintain your response rate, but the sooner the better really as that will show on your listing, e.g. this host normally responds within X amount of time.

Booking request: you need to accept or decline within 24 hours. Responding alone is not enough. Declining will affect your acceptance rate, which is not a factor in the Superhost assessment, but could potentially push you down in search results I hear and I have also heard that it could lead to suspension if you do it too often. I really don't know the truth of that as Airbnb are vague about it. 

- Instant Book: the booking is done. However, you can get 3 x penalty free cancellations a year if you are uncomfortable with the guest/feel like they are going to break your house rules, especially if you think they plan to throw a party. After that, you need to consult Airbnb and they decide if penalties apply to you or not.

- Special offers: these are optional. You are under no obligation to send one and I never do, but I know some hosts like using this tool.

- 48 hour grace period: for Strict and Superstrict and long term cancellation policies, providing the booking is at least two weeks before check in, the guest can have 48 hours from booking to cancel and get a full refund. This is a good opportunity to try to convince the guest to cancel from their end if you think they are unsuitable. It's always worth a try and it's worked for me a number of times. However, recently a host posted here that your Acceptance Rate gets dinged too even when the guest withdraws the request. I doubt that's true and hope it's not as it seems very unfair (guest can withdraw without any prompt from the host), but you never know. Maybe some else here can clarify that point.

I hope that helps and it's not too confusing.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liz5186 

Firstly, if it's an enquiry DON'T decline! There is no need and it will affect you negatively (lower ranking in search results and also possible suspension if you do it too often, I have been told). With an enquiry, you just need to respond to the first message within 24 hours and then job done. It's only booking requests that you have to accept or decline.

Secondly, yes, there is a way to block a guest from contacting you again. You click on the little flag next to one of their messages and you can report and/or block them. To block, you have to choose the option 'they're being offensive', which is annoying as that's usually not the reason, but it's the only option Airbnb allows you to select when blocking. You could also report this guest's first enquiry message if you wanted to, because parties are strictly prohibited by Airbnb. Doesn't mean Airbnb will do anything about it though. Best off blocking and good riddance.

Most people go away after you have told them once or twice that it's not a good fit, but others are remarkably persistent! 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Liz5186 

You can report a message from this person and then have option to block her for contacting you again:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

Or maybe your recent message was clear enough to her and she will stop communicating.

Emiel1, thank you for the link. That is super helpful. Much appreciation for this clarification.

Liz

Liz5186
Level 2
Fitchburg, WI

Huma0, thank you SO much for this great advice. With the first inquiry, I immediately responded to her inquiry that I didn't allow parties. But then ABB kept sending me messages that I needed to respond and approve or decline and kind of threatened me on the other end of what you're saying that if I didn't do so within 24 hours it could hurt my ratings.

I'm so new at this & still trying to figure it all out--but it showed she was trying to reserve for Nov 4-6 so it seemed like an inquiry with the booking request. So I didn't need to decline that?

She did exactly the same with the second inquiry.

Again, many thanks for your kind response.

Liz

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liz5186 

A lot of hosts get confused about this at first. It's not like Airbnb spell it out for you when you start hosting. You have to search out this info an it's not always easy to find as it seems usually to be split across various help articles when you do an online search. That is why this CC is such an invaluable place to come for advice. I have learnt so much here!

So, to break it down:

Inquiry/enquiry: You need to respond within 24 hours to maintain your response rate, but the sooner the better really as that will show on your listing, e.g. this host normally responds within X amount of time.

Booking request: you need to accept or decline within 24 hours. Responding alone is not enough. Declining will affect your acceptance rate, which is not a factor in the Superhost assessment, but could potentially push you down in search results I hear and I have also heard that it could lead to suspension if you do it too often. I really don't know the truth of that as Airbnb are vague about it. 

- Instant Book: the booking is done. However, you can get 3 x penalty free cancellations a year if you are uncomfortable with the guest/feel like they are going to break your house rules, especially if you think they plan to throw a party. After that, you need to consult Airbnb and they decide if penalties apply to you or not.

- Special offers: these are optional. You are under no obligation to send one and I never do, but I know some hosts like using this tool.

- 48 hour grace period: for Strict and Superstrict and long term cancellation policies, providing the booking is at least two weeks before check in, the guest can have 48 hours from booking to cancel and get a full refund. This is a good opportunity to try to convince the guest to cancel from their end if you think they are unsuitable. It's always worth a try and it's worked for me a number of times. However, recently a host posted here that your Acceptance Rate gets dinged too even when the guest withdraws the request. I doubt that's true and hope it's not as it seems very unfair (guest can withdraw without any prompt from the host), but you never know. Maybe some else here can clarify that point.

I hope that helps and it's not too confusing.

Huma0, this is all GREAT information and clarifying--not confusing at all. At least way less confusing than ABB makes it. 🙄 Thank you for your kindness in taking so much time and effort to spell these things out for a newbie like me.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Liz5186 

Sometimes it's frustrating with some guest, you feel like telling them all the answers to your questions are in the listing, please read, But I dont, I have to be careful not to switch to sarcasm mode hahaha

Seeing that you are fairly new may I suggest you spend some time going through the CC there is a world of info here and also go over to Youtube many, many videos How to be a successful host, If you dont it will cost you money.

We have all made mistakes so dont worry to much

Good Luck,

Thank you, Sudsrung0. I appreciate your input and perspectives.

@Liz5186 

There's another tip for you, when you reply to one of us always use the @@@@@@ 

The names will come up, See I come in useful sometimes

@Sudsrung0 

And yet again--thank you. See, I can be educated--or at least trained--sometimes. 😊