Can I take private legal action against a guest

Answered!
Rachel2353
Level 1
Portland, OR

Can I take private legal action against a guest

A guest trashed my house vomited everywhere had a drunken physical fight broke my fridge broke my cabinets etc.

Airbnb is not helping me out in anyway I submitted a claim and nothing has happened. That guest also left me a horrible review because she knows that I left an honest review of her & I have a claim against her & Airbnb will not remove her review. I am completely heartbroken over this whole entire situation. I have lost so much money because of it and I don’t know who I’m supposed to reach out to him at this point. 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel2353 

I am sorry, I do not know what to suggest about your damage claim other than to persevere.

As for the review, well, that's a retaliatory review if ever I saw one.

According to Airbnb's recently updated review policy:

• Reviews may not be provided or withheld in exchange for something of value—like a discount, refund, reciprocal review, or promise not to take negative action against the reviewer. They also may not be used as an attempt to mislead or deceive Airbnb or another person. For example, guests should not write biased or inauthentic reviews as a form of retaliation against a Host who enforces a policy or rule.

See also this article: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/ground-rules-for-guests-554?_set_bev_on_new_domai...

which states: "If you notify a guest that they’ve violated your house rules and it leads to the guest leaving a retaliatory review, you can dispute that review with our updated reviews process."

and here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/a-simpler-way-to-dispute-retaliatory-reviews-552

"You can dispute a retaliatory review – regardless of when it was posted – from guests who commit a serious violation of policies, such as:

• Damaging your property (new in November 2022)
  • Overstaying their reservation (new in November 2022)
  • Violating your house rules (new in November 2022)
  • Having an unauthorised party or event at your place (in place since April 2021)"

I would go back to Airbnb CS and quote these policies back to them and link the articles. You might have to do this a few times, but don't give up. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel2353 Your biggest problem will be getting hold of the name and address of the host. Airbnb won't give it to you.

That’s what I was worried about. I was hoping that I would be able to get info considering Airbnb says identification verified. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel2353 

I am sorry, I do not know what to suggest about your damage claim other than to persevere.

As for the review, well, that's a retaliatory review if ever I saw one.

According to Airbnb's recently updated review policy:

• Reviews may not be provided or withheld in exchange for something of value—like a discount, refund, reciprocal review, or promise not to take negative action against the reviewer. They also may not be used as an attempt to mislead or deceive Airbnb or another person. For example, guests should not write biased or inauthentic reviews as a form of retaliation against a Host who enforces a policy or rule.

See also this article: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/ground-rules-for-guests-554?_set_bev_on_new_domai...

which states: "If you notify a guest that they’ve violated your house rules and it leads to the guest leaving a retaliatory review, you can dispute that review with our updated reviews process."

and here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/a-simpler-way-to-dispute-retaliatory-reviews-552

"You can dispute a retaliatory review – regardless of when it was posted – from guests who commit a serious violation of policies, such as:

• Damaging your property (new in November 2022)
  • Overstaying their reservation (new in November 2022)
  • Violating your house rules (new in November 2022)
  • Having an unauthorised party or event at your place (in place since April 2021)"

I would go back to Airbnb CS and quote these policies back to them and link the articles. You might have to do this a few times, but don't give up. 

Oops I somehow replied to my own post. Thank you for your help…it’s a huge help! 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Rachel2353 

It seems like these day you have to keep contacting airbnb until you find the right person,

As in my case, I only have one property on airbnb and the apartment was only 3 months old and we had guest damage the cooker we got paid for a new cooker all done within 2 weeks, 

So, keep pushing them 

Airbnb are taking to long to resolve damage issues, I now have the phone number to my local Immigration Police Sargent, any damage or theft he will come and I also have the guest passport details so they are going nowhere, 

Rachel2353
Level 1
Portland, OR

Thank you so much…that’s  a huge help! They still have not removed her review and keep telling me it’s being sent to someone else to review the case. It’s been a week! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel2353 

I just wanted to check in and see how things went with your Aircover claim.  

Did you manage to get things sorted out?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines