Changing checkout dates isn't working

Nicoli36
Level 2
Woburn, MA

Changing checkout dates isn't working

Hi,

I'm currently staying in an Airbnb. The reservation started on Jan 24 and ends on Mar 15. Today is Feb 4, and I have been trying since Jan 31 to move the checkout date to Mar 2 from Mar 15. When I attempt to do this, the website (and app) report that the dates are unavailable. The same message occurs even if I try to change it to Mar 14. I sent a message to the host to request the change on Feb1, but he has yet to reply to my request. I have called and messaged Airbnb support multiple times, but they tell me that they need the hosts permission to change the checkout date, and the host refuses. 

However, this website https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361

states that my change request should be automatic and not require host approval.

Would someone please help me understand why I can't change my checkout date? I'm losing money each day this doesn't work....

9 Replies 9
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Nicoli36,. Good morning.

I'm a Host (on Cape Cod) not an Airbnb Representative.  What was your Host's cancellation policy at the time of booking? (You should find it in the reservation confirmation email you received from Airbnb).

When you attempted to contact your Host did you send him/her a message via Airbnb message inbox? (Don't call or text the Host. Always communicate on the Airbnb platform so that all parties involved can see exactly what was discussed, and when).  

I suggest going to your own Airbnb page, click on "TRIPS". Select this current reservation. Select "REQUEST TO CHANGE RESERVATION"...or similar wording.   

Then adjust your ck-out date.   

I believe the Host will receive a message from Airbnb asking the Host to accept your reservation change request. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck.

The cancellation policy is standard for long stays. 30 days after cancellation are non refundable.

Yes, I'm only using the messaging platform. Multiple Airbnb reps can see that my request is unanswered.

@Bhumika,  please try to escalate this and help this Guest.

Thank you.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Nicoli36 🌿

You cannot shorten the stay to be less than 30 days. And the alteration has to be made pre check-out time - if it is done after check out the alteration will have to be for at least 31 days? Could that be why it won’t work? You are bound to pay for at least 30 days out when you have booked a long term stay (28+days). You can alter the stay today - all on your own - but it has to be at least 30 days from today (if done pre check out time) - the system is set up to work per the cancellation policy. What you might have tried is to shorten your stay till less than 30 days and that would interfere with the long term cancellation policy. So alter your stay straight ahead and you will only have to pay for the next 30 days. Hope it makes sense. 

Hi Sandra,

The system won't even let me shorten my stay to end on March 14! (I indicated this in my original posting here). Which is clearly more than 30 days away. See screenshots... First is me attempting to change the checkout to March 14. Second is the error message I receive when I try to save it. Note that it has reverted the checkout to the original March 15. I have tried every permutation since Jan 31 (when my desired goal of March 2 was 30 days away....)

Screenshots are here. I can't figure out how to embed them in this post:
https://imgur.com/a/59v7xsN

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Nicoli36, I just wanted to let you know that I have raised your issue with the relevant team. Hopefully this can be resolved soon 🙏🏼

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Sophia Thank you 🙂

Hi @Sophia ,

My support experience through the Airbnb messaging seems to continue to be inconsistent, and in the end not helpful. I spoke to one person on the phone yesterday that seemed like she was about to resolve everything for me, then their shift ended, and I was transferred to another person who sticks to the original script. I've now lost a week of my money because I can't change the reservation. :'(

-Nicoli

Nicoli36
Level 2
Woburn, MA

This was finally resolved. After numerous messages and phone calls, I finally got someone to help. What a relief.