Check-in email for guests

Check-in email for guests

Any other hosts feel frustrated that in the last week or two their upcoming guests no longer receive emailed check-in instructions?  Yes, they checked their spam.  Yes I have the 'Infor for guests' filled in 🙂  This used to be so flawless and helpful to me as a host and now I get frantic messages from guests from multiple properties  saying they have no idea how to check in.  Superhost support says there is no problem with the system, I'm just curious if I'm the only host experiencing this.

14 Replies 14
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sarah5272  I’m not having this problem, but it might behoove you to start thinking about alternate methods of getting info to your guests. All of us are about to lose the email functionality starting in September.

Jenny1428
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Pat271 Regarding this September change - do you have any tips on how to get detailed check-in instructions to guests from then onwards? I have always relied on being able to email my document, and I do not intend to put all that information on the Airbnb platform.

Thanks in advance, any suggestions welcome!

@Jenny1428  After examining all the options, the only one that I feel is the most secure, efficient, and convenient for the guest is to simply ask them for their email address so that I can send them a Welcome packet.

This will have the undesirable effect of encouraging hosts and guests to collaborate off-platform, but it makes the most sense if Airbnb is not going to provide us with an easier way to attach documents, maps, etc. which for me is a crucial part of my hospitality to my guests.

@Pat271 

Unfortunately, any guest who tries to send you their email address will probably have that information redacted from the message system...

@Lorna170  It’s allowed after booking.

@Pat271   Thank you and I certainly hope so.  I have NEVER received the guest's real email address -- have always had to use the alias provided by @guest.Airbnb.

@Lorna170  Right, I’ve never had to get the guest’s real email either, and have always used the alias. Seems it’s better for Airbnb that way but…well, they’ve made their decision, so we have the choice to either switch exclusively to other platforms, or work around the Airbnb changes.

I did try asking a recently-booked guest for their email, just to test it out, and it did seem to work and the software didn’t filter it out. I’ve also talked to some other hosts that have told me that they have been asking guests for their email to send additional info ever since they started hosting, with almost no pushback from the guest. I think some host did have pushback from a guest once, so that host ended up calling Airbnb with the issue. I don’t think that host knew about the email alias functionality.

@Pat271  Can you point me to where on the website the loss of the email functionality has been posted?  I can't find it...Thank you

@Bhumika 

Thank you @Pat271 

I HEREBY PLAN TO LEAVE AIRBNB.  

THIS IS THE FINAL NAIL IN THE RENTAL COFFIN THEY HAVE BUILT.

O  M  G.

The programmers are **.

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions with other members]

Jana27
Level 3
Anchorage, AK

I use the "quick message" feature to send a Welcome "Packet" via the text on their booking. It seems to work well. I send them at about 10-12 days out 

@Jana27  Do you just everything as text in the message? I have directional maps, photos, etc. and really need something like email or doc storage for which I can provide a link.

Jane2601
Level 2
Stirling, Australia

hi Sarah, I noticed this change too. I called Airbnb and they told me I had to schedule message. I have now set this up for my bookings and works well. 

@Jane2601 , I have looked and cannot find anyplace to set this up.  Can you walk me through how you "scheduled" an automatic message to go to folks that have booked your home?

Thank you!