Check out

Karen3329
Level 1
Luxulyan, United Kingdom

Check out

Hi, what do other hosts do when guests dont check out at the agreed time? I work full time as well as running my Airbnb  and it causes all sorts of problems when guest vacate late  - sometimes by a couple  of hours, I dont want to be rude or upset guests but I am struggling with this problem. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Karen3329 one suggestion is that you send a message the day before saying something like 'Hi xxx we really hope you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you have a good onward journey. Our check out time is xxx as we need to clean the property before our next guests arrive' or, occasionally you might finish with 'Our check out time is xxx but we can extend this to yyy if it helps as we don't need to start cleaning until then.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Karen3329  I'm pretty sure it's rude and upsetting to the host when guests don't check out on time.

It's your property and you need to manage it as you see fit, and not let guests run the show. There is nothing upsetting about asking guests to comply with what they agreed to when they booked your place. If you are pleasant and clear in your communication about all rules on your property, that's all that's necessary. 

I would never let guests stay two hours beyond check-out without a prior agreement. 

Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

I always send a check out reminder early the day before so they can factor packing into their last day.  I gently remind check out time and procedure and say cleaning and maintenance team will be in just shortly after.   It’s worked so far…sounds like arriving mobbed handed, but just me and my marigolds!