Checking Guest ID on other platforms

Answered!
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Checking Guest ID on other platforms

Hey team! 

I created a listing on Vrbo and have a few bookings so far. I just thought it would be a good idea to have another option, as Airbnb has abrupt policy  changes, but stay booked way out on Airbnb. 

So today I got a Airbnb notification for pending reservation that guest needed to provide ID. I thought no biggie. It's 6 moths out.

Then I get notification from Vrbo that same guest request to book. (I use request to book on both platforms.)

I didn't want to decline a booking request as I have only gotten 2 bookings so far on Vrbo. But at same time now wonder if Vrbo isn't checking guest ID? 

I don't ask or check for guest ID. But think if Vrbo isn't checking IDs then maybe not worth the risk. I usually go by the message guest sends. Also I live at the listing so haven't had any problems. 

I'm thinking now of not using Vrbo. Is it more risk for host who don't check IDs? 

1 Best Answer

@John5097   I have used both VRBO and AirBnB for years and have had guests who will inquire on one platform but book through the other.  

Many guests will search on both platforms to see how the booking fees change.

It sounds to me like your guest did not have a confirmed identity on Air (new user) and wanted to book your place right away so they found you on VRBO and booked from there, where they had been a verified guest for several years. I do not think the guest was being cagey about their identity.  It was all about convenience.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Edit: I realize Airbnb only "verifies" guest ID and there has been a lot of discussion on that. But in this case guest was supposed to provide ID, and instead went and booked on Vrbo. I'm thinking Vrbo is still set up for whole house rentals where host has their own ID check and agreement. Just not sure about Vrbo. Airbnb does sync calendars. 

Any thoughts or practical advice for someone like me renting guest apartment? So far haven't had any real problems on Airbnb, and think the guest "verification" and request to provide ID in some cases may be better than VRBO?  

Ok so I checked guest profile on Vrbo and they have a  five star review and have been a member for 3 years. I'm just not that familiar with Vrbo. This was probably guest just wanting to keep info confidential, which is annoying. Then don't book an apartment at someone's house! 

I was comfortable with the message and need to look into what info is verfied on Vrbo.

I don't want guest who are afraid of using their real name or don't want to verify ID through Airbnb. If they are that paranoid that means they also are kind of kooky and don't want to communicate at all. Just strange. 

But part of the hosting experience. Guest ghosting you all the time. 

ETA: I'm sure I can book up on Vrbo if necessary. Just already booked way out on Airbnb. As a host you just never can predict what guest might do. It's been great so far but want to have some kind of back up plan if guest from hell shut me down on ABB with lies if I cancel their reservation and call police if they have a party or something. 

But at least this isn't another host which have been the worst guest so far which I'm sure is no surprise to many. 

@John5097   I have used both VRBO and AirBnB for years and have had guests who will inquire on one platform but book through the other.  

Many guests will search on both platforms to see how the booking fees change.

It sounds to me like your guest did not have a confirmed identity on Air (new user) and wanted to book your place right away so they found you on VRBO and booked from there, where they had been a verified guest for several years. I do not think the guest was being cagey about their identity.  It was all about convenience.

@Lorna170  Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'm now certain that's what happened. They already had an account set up on Vrbo with previous five star review. 

A lot of these changes I made after the past couple of major updates, such as changing to request to book. No way I'm having guest who can't bother with a message when making the reservation. I think ABB reverted back to allowing that requirement with instant book, but I like the request to book and don't have time for all these changes. 

I would also prefer for Airbnb/Vrbo to verify guest ID. If they don't want to do this, then I will, and may need to be on multiple platforms. Although to me Vrbo seems more clunky and not as transparent from host end. So will need to adjust and require ID if guest want to book without proper ID verification,. 

Always adjusting! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John5097 It may be that the guest has verified their ID on VRBO but not got around to doing so on Airbnb.

I suspect all US STR platforms will need to verify identity if only to comply with anti terrorism and money laundering legislation.