Children playhouse and playground

Erinç1
Level 2
Vallejo, CA

Children playhouse and playground

Is it a liability or risk to provide little playhouse or some of the playground things in the yard for the kids?

What about toys? Obviously nothing small that they can swallow.

3 Replies 3

@Erinç1  Each Airbnb booking has a limited amount of liability coverage under the "Host Protection" scheme (not to be confused with Host Guarantee) that theoretically extends to injuries suffered by a registered guest on your property during their booked dates. In practice, I've heard of so few attempted claims that I have no idea what their odds of success are or how long they might take to process.

I think if I were catering primarily to groups with small children, I'd  want to have a private STR insurance plan with benefits for both damage and liability. Not sure a playground set would be my choice of amenity, if it has to be sanitized between guests and constantly checked for potential safety hazards. Also, it might somewhat reduce the listing's appeal to groups without kids of that age group. But if you have loads of space in the back yard and no public parks nearby, maybe it's a drawcard for longer stays. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erinç1  I don't really see how a little playhouse in the yard poses any more risk than a child getting hurt inside the house, or falling when running across the yard. I might stay away from playground equipment, unless it's quite simple and difficult to fall off of. Kids would love a playhouse, and probably so would the parents- some adult time while the kids are busy out there.

And a basket or box of toys if you are going to cater to families, for sure. A friend of mine who hosts a private suite in her home has that- both the kids and the parents are always appreciative and it leads to good reviews. 

But you should sterlize the toys between guests, or have a couple of boxes that you can switch out while the other sits for awhile, due to Covid safety.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

It is a liability, but you should have commercial general liability insurance anyway. I have a policy, it covers slip and fall accidents, along with false eviction claims. $1 million per instance, $2 million in total. Be up front with your insurance provider about your operations and your risks. They should recommend the best insurance package for you. "Commercial General Liability" is the key phrase. Airbnb recommends to have your own insurance on top of theirs, I'd recommend the same.