Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Client / Guest Dispute

Answered!
Alex10424
Level 2
Powder Springs, GA

Client / Guest Dispute

We have an interesting / stressful situation.  Our property was reserved by a guest's "benefactor".   The guest arrived and began checking in.  They asked for the house rules (she was a young 21 year old lady, with 2 young men accompanying her).  I told her no smoking, drugs, parties, quiet hours, respectful of property, quiet hours, taking out garbage.  She had asked about having guests and I informed her that no overnight guests unless they paid the additional charges.  

Oh, and I had told her that I had linens in the laundry that I was going to bring down later.  I believe she misunderstood that the ones on the bed were dirty - MAYBE...   Because she later asked if the existing towels and linens were clean.  I informed her about 90 minutes later (I had been busy) that they in fact were.  

In the interim the benefactor's assistant contacted me telling me that the guest was complaining that the place was dirty and unsanitary.  I went to the door and knocked later that evening to see what was the matter.  They opened the door and invited me in, but didn't say what the matter was.  So I ended up cleaning the shower again since that is the only thing that I could think might be the problem.  They didn't say anything else, so I left.  

The next day I went to take the linens down but no one answered the door.  I called and texted her to follow-up with no responses.  Later that day I went to knock again and peeked through the door and noticed that all of her things were gone.  

Oh and they booked for multiple months, so Airbnb charged for the first month up-front, as they always do.  

I continued to try to contact the benefactor's assistant with no reply for several days.  I was also trying to work with the Airbnb help desk for days.  The booking wasn't cancelled for days.  I attempted again first with Airbnb and copied the message to the client letting them know that only they could cancel the reservation.  They finally did, but then demanded a full refund.  

I just got another terse demand today.  Not sure the proper protocol, or how to properly respond.  I was going to say something to the effect of:   "This is an Airbnb listing and therefore an Airbnb matter .  Please deal with Airbnb directly for resolution.  Thank you."

But I'm thinking there might be a better / more legal / CYA answer.  Advice is welcomed and appreciated!!

Top Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Alex10424, Adding to the discussion, I wanted to share this article that mentions that ''guests can’t book on their family or friend's behalf unless they're going to stay together in the listing''.

Please find the article herehttps://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/427.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Top Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I’m confused. What is a benefactor? Third party bookings are not allowed. You should have contacted Airbnb immediately to report the third party booking & canceled the reservation immediately. 

Hey Dawn, it’s not a third party booking as per the Airbnb guidelines.  It’s someone booking on another person’s behalf, but through Airbnb. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Alex10424 That is the definition of a 3rd party booking.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Alex10424, Adding to the discussion, I wanted to share this article that mentions that ''guests can’t book on their family or friend's behalf unless they're going to stay together in the listing''.

Please find the article herehttps://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/427.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for the help!  I was under the impression that you could designate others, but that's only for Airbnb for work - I appreciate the clarification and guidance. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Alex10424 I think Alex that in this case the best idea would be not to cancel for the guest , but you have created some confusion by re cleaning the shower and bringing , 'extra linen' . It may have been better for a long term stay to have all of your discussions ,as the guests arrived and just let them settle in and text the following day to discuss weekly cleaning or whatever you chose to do as per the space over the month.... It seems confusion did you in and maybe a confusion about 'privacy '... H

Hello Helen,

We always provide spare linens.  We have had many long-term stays and it's been helpful for them to have extra linens for them to change.  

But I definitely see your point on the other issue.

@Alex10424 you may have dodged a bullet anyway Alex,i would avoid this type of 'benefactor ' guest especially if you do not know what it means... Take Mike and Janes advice as well its  probably best . Dont refund .. H

Unfortunately, I didn’t dodge a bullet.  There’s more going on. I’m going to contact an attorney (via LegalShield, fortunately), to obtain legal advice.  

To your point, I’m not planning to refund.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Alex10424 Hiding behind Airbnb only works to an extent. The truth (which is important to understand) is that you are fully in control of refunding or not any money requested.

I would go back with something like 'Under the contract formed when you booked with Airbnb I am afraid you have forfeited the months rental by cancelling. However I am willing to refund whatever portion of the money I have received if I am able to re-book the property at this late stage.'

Hope this helps

This definitely helps tremendously!!!  This is exactly what I was looking for!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

This unhappy situation is a good example of why you shouldn't accept third party booking @Alex10424  not only is it against Airbnb's T&C but Airbnb do not have to accept claims under its guarantee for guest damage.

In this situation, as other hosts have mentioned bringing new linens and cleaning the shower does give credence to the guests complaints about cleanliness.

I would follow @Mike-And-Jane0  advice.