Compensation for lost item

Zunur0
Level 2
Selangor, MY

Compensation for lost item

Hi all, recently my guest has taken my good quality towels (3 nos) that was being used less than 10x. I bought it quite cheap during a sale. Although the guest is quite cooperative, I need to get others opinion.

When I revisit the shop, the similar quality towels (in term of weight) is not as cheap as I bought during the sale. So if I were to request same amount when I purchased from the guest, im unable to get the same quality towels urgently (i couldn't wait for the next sale). I also think that it was my luck for getting the sale price. On the other hand I feel guilty to ask for the actual price. 

Anyone experience this before?

9 Replies 9
Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Dear Zunur

Sorry to hear you that you have lost 3 towels. When you review the guest kindly mention all the things, so other host will be alert for that particular guest. The most of 3 or 5 star hotel or even now the budget hotel also print their Hotel or Property name in the tower. There are few reasons (a) The guest will shame to take the towel because name print on it (b) If the guest take the towel also it give property publicity to other people.

If you want to buy standard towels you can look for it in AEON or TESCO hypermarket.   Maybe you can save some money. There are some hotel goods  supplier in Malaysia you can buy from them also. You can search in "Google" Hotel Supplier in Malaysia.

Hope for the best and wish you good luck.

Thank you

Regards

Mizanur

Linda810
Level 2
Campbellcroft, CA

I had a good quality blanket taken that was expensive to replace. The guest acknowledged they had taken it. I took a picture of the blanket and the receipt and sent to guest. Fortunately no problems

Zunur0
Level 2
Selangor, MY

Thanks mizanur for the suggestion. Will consider the idea in the future.

linda, the guest finally paid you?

My concern is that okay for me to charge current price of the towels and not the price when I bought during the sale?

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Personally @Zunur0 

You have absolutely no reason to be so solicitous, although it speaks highly of you that you are so considerate.  Your guest STOLE from  you ( I find it hard to believe the took THREE towels by accident)

You should have no hesitation  whatsover in charging them what it costs you to replace the identical brand of towel

I'll be interested to know if he actually pays when you request the money.

Actually there were 3 more item went missing, hairdryer, set of key & access card, soap dispenser & floor mattress. The guest returned floor mattress & set of keys only after I sent the request through airbnb. 

Right now he doesn't admit he took the towels. I guess in the future, every single check in I have to snap photos of item provided & house conditions as my backup proof.

@Zunur0 I will suggest - ask middle price - not the sale price you had the chance to buy them - but not the high price they are now - in that case you will for sure be paid by the guest, otherwise he would refuse and for a long time you will be just arguing with the guest how is the cost.  

Good suggestion, at least he feels there is room for negotiation.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zunur0 

The guest should only be expected to pay the price you paid less a discount after all they were used before. 

This is why every Airbnb host should be accumulating money for fixture & fittings replacement with the increased wear and tear which  short term letting inevitably brings.

Im aware that the compensation should be the value of the item (after depreciation). Im still learning but I guess I have to revisit the rental rate (I only include the cost for routine maintenance but never consider for lost/damage of major item)