Damage to tub—pursue it or let it go?

Damage to tub—pursue it or let it go?

Hi all, looking for advice: our housekeeping just sent us these pictures showing that our tub is chipped. My husband was just there before these last guests and it was not there. So, looks like the guests that checked out yesterday did it. —Either that or the cleaning people did and are pointing it out to us and making us think guests did it. (But, although I’ve not been completely satisfied with our cleaners’ performance, I have no reason to think they’re lying.)

Should we contact the guests and ask them what they know about it? Or just send a request for payment/claim through Airbnb? Or should we just kinda forget it, get a porcelain repair kit, and chock it up to wear and tear? What would you do?371B9B07-04DD-4BDA-8128-21B28E71C0EA.jpeg

7A95E43C-2550-4563-8C07-801A6FAE3176.jpeg

10 Replies 10
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

It doesn't look malicious. I would assume it's wear and tear, either from cleaning or guest use. Personally, I would repair it with the porcelain repair kit.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@David-and-Annie0 wear and tear.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@David-and-Annie0, yes, I agree, I think this would be considered wear and tear as a result of STRs. It doesn't look like deliberate damage.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  It's hard to tell, but what is that wood bit along the side of the tub? It looks like something that would make it difficult to get in and out of the tub.

There are wide steps (longer than the length of the tub) made out of wood leading up to it (there is tons of wood throughout the place/it has a real cabin feel). Also there is wood in front of and behind the tub that can be stood on. It’s hard to describe—better if I had a wider-view picture to show you.
It’s a small tub, ideal for and geared towards kids. 
It’s not particularly hard to get in or out of. 

@David-and-Annie0  Yes, I did look at your photo gallery and it looked like the tub was set in a fairly wide platform with a step leading up, but in the photos here it looked like a narrow step- maybe that's just the angle of the photo. 

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I would chalk it up to normal wear and tear. The cost of doing business. It’s not bad. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This is when it helps to be a DIYer. There's plenty of YouTube videos about repairing tub chips. Check out "DIY Bathtub Repair".

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

What is this-plastic or  enamel coated metal?

I am not sure...I’m going up there Thursday to look at it. I got a repair kit that’s supposed to work on both.