Deceptive wording “free parking on premises” -

Answered!
Katie1706
Level 2
Bakersfield, CA

Deceptive wording “free parking on premises” -

Please clarify, AirBnb, that free parking = no payment required and “on premises” = at the site (either a dedicated garage spot or a space outside at the property reserved for the guest! This lack of proper wording and communication left me in a pickle in Florence.  The listing stated “free parking on premises”so I booked the apartment. The day before getting to the property, the host gives me directions and a parking garage that charges €35 per night for my parking. I immediately responded and screenshot the reservation that said “free parking on premises“ Yet the host told me they never offered parking.  I always travel with a vehicle, and always filter out my choices because I require the parking on site. The host wrote a nasty review about me and the whole parking situation, which ended up putting a huge damper on our vacation.  

What gives? I don’t understand the confusion and problems that these four words are causing so many guests.   It’s very misleading by either the hosts (for ticking the box knowing they don’t have a dedicated spot at their property) or Airbnb for making unclear  wording.  I have spent nearly $30,000 on Airbnb over the years and I’m about ready to sever my relationship with the company based on these four words - “free parking on premises”.  
The wording should be:

1) Free parking on premises, which means parking owned by the host and given to the guest for free “on their property that they own”. 
2) Free street parking, nearby (not gtd.)

3) Paid parking nearby, at guests expense.

Who else has these types of issues? I found this to only be the case in Italy! Spain was not an issue this trip - nor gave any other trips in the past - just Italy!  What gives? Can’t we do a better job with the language? It’s simply deceiving the guests 

1 Best Answer
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Katie1706 

Your post now seems to have been deleted?

I wanted to suggest that you confirm the exact parking arrangements with your host in a message inside the Airbnb messaging system when you book. That way they will be on record and you can request a refund if they don't offer parking as promised. 

As a host in Africa I frequently receive guests who seem surprised by the fact that it is impractical to try to get around here without a car. I suppose you are experiencing the reverse - hosts who seem surprised that guests feel the need for a car in Europe.

Be that as it may, parking should be properly described in the listing, and if you fear it may not be, it's best to double-check in writing.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Katie1706 There is nothing deceptive in those words. Now how they are interpreted by certain hosts/Airbnb support  may well seem deceptive but you haven't really given us enough to go on here!

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Katie1706 

Your post now seems to have been deleted?

I wanted to suggest that you confirm the exact parking arrangements with your host in a message inside the Airbnb messaging system when you book. That way they will be on record and you can request a refund if they don't offer parking as promised. 

As a host in Africa I frequently receive guests who seem surprised by the fact that it is impractical to try to get around here without a car. I suppose you are experiencing the reverse - hosts who seem surprised that guests feel the need for a car in Europe.

Be that as it may, parking should be properly described in the listing, and if you fear it may not be, it's best to double-check in writing.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Katie1706 , based on your concern Shelley and Mike have shared their comments. Would you like to share your thoughts further with them? @Shelley159  has shared a nice suggestion of double-confirming with the Hosts to be on a safer side when booking. How do you think of it? Did you double check with this Host as well when booking, just incase?

If you'd like, please feel free to share your feedback with Airbnb through the Feedback form as well!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines